• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is RDRAM Dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am considering another upgrade to my system and noticed that there seems to be very few 850 motherboards available. Abit does not even matket one since the TH7II went out of production. Am I correct in my perception that DDR has overwhelmed the market and RDRAM is fading away?

It seems that Intel is slowly phasing out RDRAM support. The fact that Intel is developing dual channel DDR mobos seems to me a good indication that RDRAM is on its way out. That being said, it'll still probably be a quite a while before RDRAM is officially a dead-end solution (my guess is 18-24 months).

Are said dual ddr is the new thing you might wanna wait on yoru upgrade for a bit and wait until dual-ddr is used by alot of people and upgrade then

Are there any Dual Channel Mobos available now? I just checked out Newegg and did not find any.

RhoXS said:
Are there any Dual Channel Mobos available now? I just checked out Newegg and did not find any.

Dual Channel Intel (Granite Bay) boards are officially out, however, getting them on the retail market is a bit problematic atm. My guess is that they will become readily available around January of 2003. Personally, I feel that the first iteration of DCDDR boards are somewhat unimpressive (they only "officially" support DDR 266), however, later boards (Springdale) will support significantly faster memory speeds and will definately be worth looking out for. One thing to be aware of though, a lot of sites have had pretty good luck with overclocking Granite Bay boards--in addition, they have achieved some very impressive memory bandwidth numbers--, because of this, you may want to take a closer look.

Intel announced some months back (at the IDF) that the 850e would be the last Intel desktop chipset to utilize RDRAM. Since they switched to DDR for the server chipsets some time ago, this would appear to mean they have no plans to use RDRAM in the future.

Back