• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confused!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

All the differetn types of Ram out there are confusing me.....I know the numbers used to be half the FSB (pc 133/FSB 266) whats all this 2100....2700 madness? Im really considering buying oneof the new 333 FSB AMD chips when the next revision of the kt400 chipset comes out...which ram is the best suited for it...and how can I tell???????

I believe pc2100 pc2700 etc refers to the bandwidth...

so 2100 is 2.1GB
and 2700 is 2.7GB etc..

so SD is like 133 which refers to actual clock speed of the FSB...

DDR refers to bandwidth

and RD I think refers to the its dual channelness ;) so 800 is 400fsb x 2 and 1066 is 533x2 etc...

please correct me if im wrong as I hate the internet misinforming me and me dishing out wrong information :)

the nembers are the data transfer rate that the ram is rated for.

pc2100 operates at 266mhz and has data transfer of 2100 byets per second.

pc2700 operates at 333mhz and has data transfer of 2700 bytes per second.

pc3200 operates at 400mhz and has data transfer of 3200 bytes per second.

pc3500 operates at 433mhz and has data transfer of 3500 bytes per second.

sdram: stands for single data ram@133

ddr: stand for double data ram@266 and up!

bytes? dont you mean kilobytes? as the bandwidth is worked out by 8bytes x FSB...

and SDRAM is Synchronus Dynamic RAM
DDR SDRAM is Double Date Rate Synchronus Dynamic RAM

DDR is SD...

edit*

just incase RDRAM is Rambus Direct RAM or as it is apparently "properly" called DRDRAM which is Direct Rambus Dynamic RAM...

Last edited:
just as i said, maybe i stated it wrong!

sdram sends a single data rate

ddr sends a double data rate

as fare as the kilobytes you might be right. i just took it for granted it was bytes since sisoft sandra states b/s not kb/s for memory bandwith. eitherway the numbers concerning ddr ram stand for the data transfer rate (bandwith) same differance sice bandwidth is messured in scale b/s. and that is what the guy wanted to know.

sdram sends a single data rate
ddr sends a dual data rate

this is sort of right but DDR is SDRAM so SDRAM itself doesnt - the proper name (courtesy of David ;)) would be SDR SDRAM - but obviously this is seen as irrelevant as if it isnt DDR you can pretty much take it for granted that it is Single Data Rate...

Back