• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

for my honors chemistry class we have to a science fair and we can pick any experiment that we want to do and it does not have to relate to chemistry. Does anyone have any ideas for a fun and interesting experiment involving computers...if you have please help!!!!!!!!

There are many things you can do.
If you have a water cooled system you can test different liquid coolants and or mixtures of them. This would show the thermalconductivity of each type. Diferent type of metal heat sinks would work also, aluminum, copper, etc.

If you could get your hands on some uv-curable plastics you can show how to make silicone chips. Chips are coated with a thin layer of a plastic (polysiloxane and such), when a portion is shined with a uv light, the polymer chains will crosslink and form a hard, stable plastic, the parts that didnt get the light will be easily dissolved away with solvents. Leaving wells and such.

You can explain why gold terminals are better than copper. Expose copper and ot gold (if you can get a small piece) to the elements and show the results. Copper although its a better conductor than gold, oxidizes way easier/faster. The copper oxide does not cunduct electricity, thus gold is better for exposed areas.

The possibilites are endless. Ill try to think of some more, but its finals week.

You can make a volcano out of computer parts. :)

I like rykh's idea about water coolants. Plus there are a few formulas that will impress people, and also they wow factor will good.

crack 01 couuld you give me a link to some site were i could find some of these formulas cause that would be a huge help! thanks alot for all of the ideas and suggestions

Not to mention trying different rated pumps in the same system. Then you have that whole flow rate and ability to transfer heat and what not. There are articles on the main overclockers website I'm sure with formulas. Just do a little digging around. You never know what you might pick up along the way.

thanks everyone for all of the help and suggestions i found these ideas very useful, thanks

Back