PDA

View Full Version : Using toothpaste instead of Thermal Paste

The Coolest
08-02-01, 03:41 PM
Hello. Today I tried something new: I put a little bit of tooth paste on my
heatsink and rubed it in with a plastic bag and then wiped the edges that
don't make contact with the CPU core (The toothpaste conducts elecrtricity!!!). Then u put a little bit of toothpaste
on the CPU as well and wipe it across the CPU core. Then just mount your
heatsink back on top of your CPU and you're done!
The temps in my case droped below the ambient temp thanks to the two
80mm fans that are blowing in the CPUs direction, but a ~10 C drop in
temps garanteed.

The only thing you will propably have to replace the toothpaste once in 2-3 months. So if you're searching for not a long time solution this is perfect for ya.

Paul -The Mad Hatter
08-02-01, 03:55 PM
good advice! I guess i can throw my artic silver away.

Super
08-02-01, 03:55 PM
What brand did you use?

I used Crest to polish my HS.

The Coolest
08-02-01, 04:09 PM
I used Colgate Aquafresh

Pitspawn
08-02-01, 04:34 PM
I've heard of using Florent too cool your cpu but not Florine! LOL. I suppose if you did use toothpaste your cpu would be whiter than white! It would be minty cool.

This post is quite dangerous, its funny but a newbie could read this and actually follow it out.

Quaky
08-02-01, 05:16 PM
What do you mean??? Wasn't this serious???

AAARGH.....

Hehe, even on a serious forum like this there is time for a joke, I like that a lot :D keep up the good work fellas...

sgt. york
08-02-01, 06:22 PM
With that being said, the natural assumption is that artic silver will clean and whiten your teeth. I'll try it tonite (hope it works on coffee stains) and let you know tomorrow.

Nevin
08-02-01, 08:04 PM
Important Product Information

Arctic Silver WILL NOT clean and whiten your teeth.

It will however, turn you into a silver tongued devil.

;-)

Nevin

Paul -The Mad Hatter
08-02-01, 08:41 PM
Nevin (Aug 02, 2001 07:05 p.m.):

;-)

Nevin

It would be nice If you told me this earlyier.

Super
08-02-01, 10:19 PM
Nevin (Aug 02, 2001 07:05 p.m.):

;-)

Nevin

14 bucks CAD a piece. Not bad for some toothpaste!

The Coolest
08-03-01, 06:20 AM
I really put the toothpaste on my HD and then on my CPU. (Be very carefull when u apply it). My temps did drop. when idle the temp of my comp is around the ambient.

But remember the toothpaste is not a long term solution. just for 2-3 months.

Paiynn
08-03-01, 10:36 AM
Mayo and sour cream both work really well too.

KaHNZa
08-03-01, 05:44 PM
C'mon, quit foolin' before you confuse someone and they decide to try it and wreck something.

sieb
08-03-01, 06:43 PM
Too late.....

j/k :)

The Coolest
08-04-01, 06:26 AM
I got to my sences and I hope on Sunday I'll get the thermal paste and replace the toothpaste that I applied 3 days ago.

But it is working though. (If you do want to try it, you have to remember that after 2-3 months the toothpaste hardens and becomes a heat insulator instead of a condactor)

CalCoolage
08-04-01, 08:01 AM
The Coolest (Aug 04, 2001 05:26 a.m.):
I got to my senses and I hope on Sunday I'll get the thermal paste and replace the toothpaste that I applied 3 days ago.

But it is working though. (If you do want to try it, you have to remember that after 2-3 months the toothpaste hardens and becomes a heat insulator instead of a conductor)

One guy who was a guru on the overclocker's newsgroup wanted people to stop using thermal compound altogether. He considered the sellers con-artists, had quit using it, and was quite certain that anything would do provided the sink and slug were lapped well. He himself used margarine.

I don't know about Arctic Silver, but the white stuff in normal thermal compound is not a good conductor of heat, not in the class of any metal, although its probably about as good as air-free concrete or limestone. What it is is non-corrosive and very finely ground so that it will squeeze down to a very thin layer. The silicone holds it together and helps it flow when squeezed. Thin (and air-free) is the key. Thermal resistance is proportional to the thickness. One thin layer may be ten times the resistance of another, but if it is practically zero anyway, it doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure what's in toothpaste. Some sort of innocuous detergent, some polishing compound, and a harmless filler, I would think. I'm sure it will squeeze down to a nice thin layer.

Thermal compound also dries out, as you find out when you take off a heat sink after a couple of years. I don't know why, and I don't know if that is necessarily bad as long as the sink doesn't move.

sfa ok
08-04-01, 11:15 AM
What were you using before toothpaste?

Eil Atan
08-04-01, 11:23 AM
hehehe... this thread is almost as good as the one about peeing on your processor to cool it... :-)

Quaky
08-04-01, 11:42 AM
I like this one more because there is always a doubt if it actually works better. Perhaps I will be crazy enough to actually try it ;D

The Coolest
08-04-01, 05:37 PM
sfa ok (Aug 04, 2001 10:15 a.m.):

I didn't use any thing until my fan stoped working and my comp overheated

The Coolest
08-04-01, 05:41 PM
Eil Atan (Aug 04, 2001 10:23 a.m.):
hehehe... this thread is almost as good as the one about peeing on your processor to cool it... :-)

I am dead serious about this, it really works, man!!!

sfa ok
08-04-01, 05:43 PM
The Coolest (Aug 04, 2001 04:37 p.m.):

sfa ok (Aug 04, 2001 10:15 a.m.):

I didn't use any thing until my fan stoped working and my comp overheated

That's probably why it made such a difference. Anything (almost) will work better than nothing. Hoot had a list of common household stuff to use while wating for AS2 in the mail.

The Coolest
08-05-01, 07:55 PM
Why was this Post fogotten?!

Betty
08-06-01, 02:43 AM
Omg!!!
I've read about this before....I'll cut & paste a couple of response..hilarious stuff!!
Original Post:
white paste on heat sink:

whats in it and i wonder how much should be on it? would toothpaste work?once i couldnt get a card it so i smeared margerine all over the bottom of it.if my chip is 133 why does it say 66mhz on the chip?. thanks again for all your help

i wonder if i built another can i move jumpers around for voltage ? will it fry?
safer lower breathlyzers .05 .04 .02 would be better like in sweden minnesota ,r.i. etc
First reply:
Pyros
Uber Cyrix Jedi
(3/7/01 6:59:01 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: white paste on heat sink
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok...I'll try and step up to bat here, but your making it difficult to say the least.......

Pyros' Computer Tech Rules:

1.) Never use any nonmechanical substance found in your fridge for a cooling project.

2.) Ditto for the bathroom medicine cabinet.

3.) Never attempt to use butter for a non-stick surface when cooking with computer equipment. Pam works much better.

4.) Try not to confuse bus speed with processor internal clock speed. The true clock speed is the bus speed times the multiplier (ie 66x1.5=100).

5.) Try not to confuse true clock speeds with PR speeds (Performance Ratings) PR ratings are always misleading and inflated.
What about dental floss?

dental floss only works if you use it every day, otherwise your fsb gets all puffy and bleeds and when you try to RMA it they say "You need to start flossing all the pins and gf's daily"

Crazy Jayhawk
08-06-01, 03:08 AM
No thanks, I'll use toothpaste on my teeth and not on my computer.

In regards to peeing on your computer to cool it - let's see some numbers. :p

SickBoy
08-06-01, 09:31 AM
Hasn't everyone learned their lesson about peeing on (running) electrical appliances after watching "Tommy Boy"?

LO freakin' L

SickBoy