• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using toothpaste instead of Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Hello. Today I tried something new: I put a little bit of tooth paste on my
heatsink and rubed it in with a plastic bag and then wiped the edges that
don't make contact with the CPU core (The toothpaste conducts elecrtricity!!!). Then u put a little bit of toothpaste
on the CPU as well and wipe it across the CPU core. Then just mount your
heatsink back on top of your CPU and you're done!
The temps in my case droped below the ambient temp thanks to the two
80mm fans that are blowing in the CPUs direction, but a ~10 C° drop in
temps garanteed.

The only thing you will propably have to replace the toothpaste once in 2-3 months. So if you're searching for not a long time solution this is perfect for ya.

I've heard of using Florent too cool your cpu but not Florine! LOL. I suppose if you did use toothpaste your cpu would be whiter than white! It would be minty cool.

This post is quite dangerous, its funny but a newbie could read this and actually follow it out.

What do you mean??? Wasn't this serious???

AAARGH.....

Hehe, even on a serious forum like this there is time for a joke, I like that a lot :D keep up the good work fellas...

With that being said, the natural assumption is that artic silver will clean and whiten your teeth. I'll try it tonite (hope it works on coffee stains) and let you know tomorrow.

Important Product Information

Arctic Silver WILL NOT clean and whiten your teeth.

It will however, turn you into a silver tongued devil.

;-)

Nevin

I really put the toothpaste on my HD and then on my CPU. (Be very carefull when u apply it). My temps did drop. when idle the temp of my comp is around the ambient.

But remember the toothpaste is not a long term solution. just for 2-3 months.

I got to my sences and I hope on Sunday I'll get the thermal paste and replace the toothpaste that I applied 3 days ago.

But it is working though. (If you do want to try it, you have to remember that after 2-3 months the toothpaste hardens and becomes a heat insulator instead of a condactor)

The Coolest (Aug 04, 2001 05:26 a.m.):
I got to my senses and I hope on Sunday I'll get the thermal paste and replace the toothpaste that I applied 3 days ago.

But it is working though. (If you do want to try it, you have to remember that after 2-3 months the toothpaste hardens and becomes a heat insulator instead of a conductor)

One guy who was a guru on the overclocker's newsgroup wanted people to stop using thermal compound altogether. He considered the sellers con-artists, had quit using it, and was quite certain that anything would do provided the sink and slug were lapped well. He himself used margarine.

I don't know about Arctic Silver, but the white stuff in normal thermal compound is not a good conductor of heat, not in the class of any metal, although its probably about as good as air-free concrete or limestone. What it is is non-corrosive and very finely ground so that it will squeeze down to a very thin layer. The silicone holds it together and helps it flow when squeezed. Thin (and air-free) is the key. Thermal resistance is proportional to the thickness. One thin layer may be ten times the resistance of another, but if it is practically zero anyway, it doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure what's in toothpaste. Some sort of innocuous detergent, some polishing compound, and a harmless filler, I would think. I'm sure it will squeeze down to a nice thin layer.

Thermal compound also dries out, as you find out when you take off a heat sink after a couple of years. I don't know why, and I don't know if that is necessarily bad as long as the sink doesn't move.

hehehe... this thread is almost as good as the one about peeing on your processor to cool it... :)

I like this one more because there is always a doubt if it actually works better. Perhaps I will be crazy enough to actually try it ;D

sfa ok (Aug 04, 2001 10:15 a.m.):
What were you using before toothpaste?

I didn't use any thing until my fan stoped working and my comp overheated

Back