• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR400 goes official

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see JEDEC being important and the memory companies don't seem to think so either with DDR500 coming out (ok OCZ tech isn't the best, but the mem companies aren't waiting for JEDEC either). Sure, they might create standards for all the manufacturers, but will it really improve performance? I don't see it doing that, and to me that is the most important part.

JEDEC is next to useless for us.

For mainstream AOL teenagers that know nothing about computers and buy a bargain-box system from Dell, it's great because they and Dell have nothing to worry about. All the standards (even though they're 6 months old by the time they touch them) are set.

For us it means almost nothing. Quite a few people here grab the new technology the second it comes out. AGP 8x anyone? Sure it may not always work (Thanks ATI! :bang head) but it's part of the whole overclocking/extreme performance scene. This is the frontier baby, we don't need no stinkin' help! :D
(Yes I know that's a double negative :D)

Besides, as Tipycol said, even other manufacturers are leaving JEDEC in the dust! They're not going to let some snail-paced "council of elders" slow down their profits!

-----------------------------------------------------Technology is here------

-----JEDEC is here-------------------------------------------------------------

I feel JEDEC is important. We have all these PC3200 & up RAM that don't hit their rated speeds & at default voltage & BAD SPD settings creating problems for the newer boards so having a proper standard will minimize these problems. It will also minimize the overclocked PC2700 modules from being sold as faster memory. I find it ignorant to overlook issues like these since they cause the majority of the problems.

larva said:

Oh, the irony.

LOL, I read a good article on 8x AGP recently, and thought of posting it here, but realized I would just be wasting my time, it was a review of an 8x Asus GF4 card if someones really intertested.

Kerry

Do post it, it is of interest, expecially if they back-to-backed it with the AGP set to 8X and 4X...

sonnys right ddr1 has about hit its limitations. ddr1 runs in parrallel which causes noise, reflection, capacitance which becomes a major impairment around 400mhz. without some governing body mandating a standard design for ddr2 god knows what kinda junk will get put out.

Thanks, prettty much as expected.

ut2003-botmatch.gif

found the original article and put it with the other one in their own posts on video and sound

Kerry

I think JEDEC is extremely important. The memory manufactures have shown that they can press forward with technology, while staying compatible with everyone else.

Look at the DVD recordable mess. With 3 major formats, it just spells problem city for consumers.
DVD-RW
DVD-R
DVD+RW

Same problem with multi channel DVD audio
SACD
DVD-Audio.

Any "standard" can be good when it is used as the base to spring board off and making something better but still compatible with the base product.

god, finaly jedec and their slow asses...

but well, im going to get my corsair pc3200 so i dont give a damn about their standards, i dont believe my kt333 will be compliant anyway. I just dont hope this things cranks ddr prices even more...

Ok, that overclocked RAM problem is more of a issue with bad companies. With Corsair and high-end makers like that, you don't have to worry about SPD timings not being reached and all. Of course there's the possibility of something not performing as promised, but that's ok, because they'll RMA it in a minute in a case like that.

And I agree on the whole DVD recording issue, it really is a mess. But I think the companies themselves should work it out if possible, which it is if they actually care about the advancement of technology for just a second, not just the almighty dollar. If they still can't come up with something, then JEDEC will just have to put their foot down and declare a standard.

Back