• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ram suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Ok, I was first intent to get the 8rda, but now i had a sudden stroke of genius. I think I will keep my ak31a! It has enuff OC options. Now what I need for it is some RAM that will handle 166 FSb at aggressive timings. This is mos tlikely gonna be pc2700. What is some good ram suggestions? I dont wanna go overboard, ie, NO CORSAIR XMS pc3000-3500 and i doubt i will need XMS pc2700. I need some cheap RAM. I have a VERY limited budget. Must be about 150 for a 512 stick. I hear ppl are doing good with Kingmax(or is it Kingston?) Value Ram. What do you guys think? O ya, incase you havent figured out, I have a Shuttle ak31a (ak31 v3.1) with latest BIOS and a Palomino Core xp1800.

Personally I think you'd be better off getting a board that will give you more headroom(like KT333 or Nforce 2). But if your totally set on just upgrading the DDR then Newegg has Kningmax PC2700 for $120 which would probably do the most agressive timings. Of course like most things in life their isn't a guarantee but it most likely will.:)

true samsung pc2700 is a good ram for running stock speeds with agressive timing. you can pick up a 256meg strip for around $70. it is a good overclocker if you leave it at laxed timing. the samsung can't handle agressive timing like corsiar or crucial on the over clocking end,but it is good ram to run agressive at stock speeds of 166x2 333mhz!

i have a 256meg strip got from newegg.com, on my sig below!

could some one give me the specs to that Kingmax stuff? They arent on Newegg

that stuff is insanely cheap on newegg. I cant ind the info on it though. Like Cas and what not. Anyone got a place i could find it?

hmmmmmmz0rz....... will a 512 stick perform the same as the 256? Thay have dif mem chips on them and nobody seem sto buy the 12 stick. Y is it that taht pc2700 is cheaper than the pc2100? I am confused. There has to be a eason. Is it CAS3 by any chance? Is it the same as this memory? http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dId=173&dType=review

PLZ HELP ME!

One thing I've learned over the years is asking myself if I'd be happy with my choice of hardware a couple of months down the road. If your budget is 150.00 bucks, I'd spend another 24.00 and get the Corsair PC3200 Cas2 w/free shipping. I spent over 200.00 for it a couple of months back and have been extremely pleased with it's performance. It's guaranteed to run at 2 2 2 at 166 FSB, and mine will at 200FSB. You can find it at www.googear.com

i had one stick of corsair pc2100 cas2 in my ak31a. it ran 166 @ cas2, 4 way bank 2,5,3, 1t. corsair is the way to go. you don't have any need to go above 166 with that ak31 so i'd save some money with pc2700. corsair pc2700 would likely do 166 @ most aggressive timings. one thing, i ran my ak31a @ 166fsb for almost 6 months, it killed one w/d hdd and scrambled another. i found that disabling hdd block mode in bios. (while hitting hdd performance a small amount) allowed me to stay @ 166 with no hdd corruption.

I am having the same internal debate... new mobo (long term investment) or new RAM (short term investment)

con for cheap RAM:
I want replace everything soon. All RAM will probably be replaced

pro: immediate bang

con for expensive RAM:
By the time I upgrade (assuming I have patience) there will probably be better for cheaper.

pro: immediate bang, can be reloaded once (if done soon)

con for mobo:
I'll need/want all new RAM and a 166fsb CPU isn't in my budget. Paying top dollar for something I can't fully utilize right away is somewhat pointless.

pro: cheapest option

It really all depends on how long 166fsb lasts. If it's replaced next summer I'll be happy I just got some cheap RAM. If it lasts until the next summer I'll have wished for the mobo. Maybe getting the best RAM now is the best idea. I'd rather waste the $50 than risk having to replace a $150 stick, and I know my 1700+ isn't going to cut it when I start seeing affordable hammers, (Opteron, TBb, whatever).

The math is driving me nuts though
$150 now + $150 later (assumed) = $300 total
$200 now + wtf if they come up with something better = who tf knows?

juliendogg said:
i had one stick of corsair pc2100 cas2 in my ak31a. it ran 166 @ cas2, 4 way bank 2,5,3, 1t. corsair is the way to go. you don't have any need to go above 166 with that ak31 so i'd save some money with pc2700. corsair pc2700 would likely do 166 @ most aggressive timings. one thing, i ran my ak31a @ 166fsb for almost 6 months, it killed one w/d hdd and scrambled another. i found that disabling hdd block mode in bios. (while hitting hdd performance a small amount) allowed me to stay @ 166 with no hdd corruption.

Sweet. Are you using any special BIOSes or anything? Id am looking for some hackd BIOSes. I might get pc2700 Corsair then, but it depends. If worse comes to worse I will get another brand. And thnx a lot for the tip.

my sammy was $150 think i did ok? lol i know i did!
corsair does make the 2700c2 but the place i buy from it was $199 for 512mb

another big thing is i use 3vdimm on mine.and trust me it needs it and id put more in if i could.so make sure your mobo can do this if u want sammy ram running like that.

The Kingston Value Ram PC2700 has been producing superior performance on 845 series chipsets, but I don't have much feedback on other chipsets. But I find it very hard to believe it would not be great for your application as it stands 429-436MHz at 2-3-3-7 on only 2.7V on 845's. It is my recomendation for cheap ram. KingMax is something else entirely.

Back