• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Much diffrence in speed using PC3200 then PC2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich_T

Hey all,

What kind of speed diffrence would I see if I bought some XMS PC3200 rather then PC2700.

Would it be easy to just clock the PC2700 upto PC3200 speeds?

Thanks

Rich_T

Its possible that you'd be able to get your XMS 2700 to 200 MHz FSB but I would go with the XMS 3200 regardless as it will give you more headroom(and certainly will get you further) and its only $5 more than the XMS 2700 on Newegg.:)

Thanks for post, my moo (a7v333) only supports upto PC2700 will I still notice a diffrence if I do get PC3200?

Thank you

Rich_T

yes you would, that pc2700 stick might hold back your overclock or etiher you would need to use lagged memory timings, fast memory timings are good to have.... First you need to unlock your chip and crank the FSB to 200MHz using the 1:1 memory divider; since it would be almost impossible to reach such high FSB speed with a locked chip.

I'm a little lost, are saying I need to unlock my chip just to get the pc3200 memory to work? or do you mean when I unlock it I will see the same results from the P3200 memory as if I had a mobo that supports it.

Thanks

Rich_T

He is saying you will need to unlock your chip to reach PC3200 speeds. The multiplier is too high for your 2000+ to reach those speeds, the cpu just won't go that fast. But if you drop your multiplier down then you will be able to hit those speeds for the ram.

Rich_T said:
I'm a little lost, are saying I need to unlock my chip just to get the pc3200 memory to work? or do you mean when I unlock it I will see the same results from the P3200 memory as if I had a mobo that supports it.

Thanks

Rich_T

a7v333 doesnt support pc3200 memory officialy. But you can do it if you reach 200MHz FSB. Since your cpu has such a high multiplier you should unlock it, drop the multiplier to something like 9 and crank the fsb to 200MHz. I you just install the pc3200 memory with your current settings, it will work as a pc2700. It sounds difficult, buy i believe performance gains are worth it, im going to take the risk myself as soon as i get the memory and the unlocking kit ( yeah im an unlocking n00b so what?)

Rich_T said:

Thanks

Rich_T

No, you don't need to unlock to get the PC3200 to work. PC3200 DDR is rated for 200 MHz FSB but of course it can always run at a lower speed. The PC3200 will help you out when you hit a higher FSB. For example at 195 MHz FSB your PC2700 may be unstable but the PC3200 would certainly be able to handle it(and at aggressive timings).

Thanks for all the replys, I understand now :)

1 more question, When I first install the PC3200 what will it be displayed as first of all?

Rich_T

depends on the memory divider on the mobo, if its 1:1 it will work at pc2700 speeds, otherwise at pc2100, you have to set it to manual, 1:1 and FSB to 200MHz for it to work (but be sure you unlock and drop the multi to 9 first, otherwise you will cook eggs on the chip...)

So once I install it I need to set memory divider to 1:1 and the ram will run at PC2700 and once I unlock my chip and set the fsb to 200 it will run at PC3200, right?

When I set the fsb to 200 and multi to 9 it will be running at 1800 mhz, I take it thats right for the memory to be running at PC3200 speeds?

Thank you

Rich_T

Hey All,
Since you're on the subject. I currently have 2 sticks 256 of Crucial PC2100. I could only reach 147 fsb. If I upgrade to PC2700 256, can I go higher than 147 fsb??

AMD XP1800+ locked OC to XP 2000+
Gigabyte 7DXR
Win XP Pro
Visiontek 4400 OC 305, 650
40gb Qantum

Thanks
Mike

Rich_T said:
So once I install it I need to set memory divider to 1:1 and the ram will run at PC2700 and once I unlock my chip and set the fsb to 200 it will run at PC3200, right?

When I set the fsb to 200 and multi to 9 it will be running at 1800 mhz, I take it thats right for the memory to be running at PC3200 speeds?

Thank you

Rich_T

yeah, 1800 is pretty safe for the cpu. The multiplier only matters for the cpu, and the divider and FSB for memory, keep it at 200MHz 1:1 and thats 200x double data rate: 400MHz (PC3200). But if you want more juice, you can increase the multiplier to 9.5 thus 1900MHz... Your chip is an excellent stepping, maybe if you cool it good enough it can be stable at 1900 :D, thats what i plan to do...

trikotret said:

What's a divider??? Sorry don't know much about divider.:(

Mike

is a division of your fsb speed so it will rate your pci speed. a 1/5 divider at 166MHz will do 33Mhz pci, thats on spec. But if you try 200/5 it will be 40, if you have good hardware and cooling there shouldnt be probs...

PhobMX said:

is a division of your fsb speed so it will rate your pci speed. a 1/5 divider at 166MHz will do 33Mhz pci, thats on spec. But if you try 200/5 it will be 40, if you have good hardware and cooling there shouldnt be probs...

I looked in the manuel and I have a 1/4 divider. Is that good or bad?? Will I be able to reach 160 fsb with PC2700 memory and the following specs. I only have a network card on the PCI slot.

Gigabyte 7DXR
Win XP Pro
40gb Qantum
Mike

I understand now :) thanks to all who helped me out espacially PhobMX.

I'm going to put my order in soon for the memory so i'll keep you all posted on how I get on :)

Thanks

Rich_T

trikotret said:

I looked in the manuel and I have a 1/4 divider. Is that good or bad?? Will I be able to reach 160 fsb with PC2700 memory and the following specs. I only have a network card on the PCI slot.

Gigabyte 7DXR
Win XP Pro
40gb Qantum
Mike

1/4 divider, thats not quite good... the most i would use there is pc2700 at 166MHz fsb if you memory IF your hd wont get corrupted at 40MHz PCI... so pc3200 on your system is a no go...

Rich_T said:
I understand now :) thanks to all who helped me out espacially PhobMX.

I'm going to put my order in soon for the memory so i'll keep you all posted on how I get on :)

Thanks

Rich_T

np man, i wouldve liked this kind of straightforward answers while i was n00b... :beer:

Anyway, im going to try myself, ill order my corsair along the week :D

Back