• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mix differnent size rdram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strangeBrew

Registered
I want to purchase more ram and thought I would get two sticks of 256, but I thought i read somewhere that you could not mix different sizes of memory with the rambus. I know you cannot mix speeds.

Since these run in pairs, can I have a 128*2=256 on one pair, and 256*2=512 on the other totalling 768?

strangeBrew said:
I want to purchase more ram and thought I would get two sticks of 256, but I thought i read somewhere that you could not mix different sizes of memory with the rambus. I know you cannot mix speeds.

Since these run in pairs, can I have a 128*2=256 on one pair, and 256*2=512 on the other totalling 768?

it was my understanding that you could mix memory speeds... but they would only run as fast as the slowest stick. you should be able to install different sizes of memory with no problems... do you remember this place that you read about the sizes? don't take my word on it cause i am not 100% sure about all of that...

nope cant' remember where i read that about the different sizes. IWILL finally responded to the same question , and they DID verify that you CAN mix the sizes, but only get the slowest speed if mixing 800 with 1066. Thank you for responding

well, in my experience the dual channel (850 chipset) i have had problems running the same size ram but different brands, gave fits, 128 kingston & 128 samsung = no boot, also i have 1 256 stick of samsung double sided that wont run with a samsung 256 single sided stick so try to get a matched set of sticks, the vc820 840 boards dont have a problem throw anything in & they function. as long as pairs are matched channels dont matter, pairs do..

interesting... thats too bad. Im not going to mix brands cause the prior problems i had with the sams, but you would think it would not matter. Anyways, if the 256*2 sticks present a problem I would just sell the sticks of 128 and splurge for another 512 later on down the road.

Back