• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the good kingmax?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One thing for sure is that those are not Tiny BGA. What I don't like about Kingmax is that they seem to be very picky on which board they are in. I'm replacing my sticks for another brand.

drewthomas14 said:
i think you're thinking of kingston. its at googlegear for 132.50 shipped

No Kingmax is another memory manufacturer...

I had a couple of sticks of PC2100 KingMax with the Tiny BGA which I could only describe as being awesome and would run happily at over 170 FSB with aggressive memory timings on my kha+ at default voltages.. The PC2100 was great quality memory from my experience however I have not tried the PC2700

really? Can anyone else vouch for the pc2100? It is the C2 stuff, isnt it?

There was a review on the front of overclockers.com on the PC2100 which may be well worth a read.

UnseenMenace said:

I had a couple of sticks of PC2100 KingMax with the Tiny BGA which I could only describe as being awesome and would run happily at over 170 FSB with aggressive memory timings on my kha+ at default voltages.. The PC2100 was great quality memory from my experience however I have not tried the PC2700

i know kingmax is another manufacturer. but larva and some other guy have their kingston running at a high speeds so i thought he might be thinking of kingston

the kingmax pc2700 doesnt seem to like agressive timings. the kingston is kicking *** though. i bought two sticks of the kingston pc2700 from newegg for a customer and they are presently running 190 mhz tightest timings @ 2.5 vdimm. the sticks could go higher but his video card is crapping out at that speed.

could you maybe give me a link to the exact ram you are talking about? Thnx.

UnseenMenace said:

I agree with UnseenMenace on this one I've presently got two sticks of PC2700 kingmax, both will do 182 with turbo timings at 2.7 vmem.

TheFrag said:
r u talkin about 2700 or 2100?
Sorry I didn't get back to you it just slipped my mind. Yes I'm talking about pc2700 256 mb sticks. I've also recently just got 4 sticks of pc2700 samsung two DTL and two DTM all are doing 180 with turbo timings 2-2-5-2 1t, and the DTL will do 201 at normal timings or 3-3-6-3- 2t. not to bad considering they were only $67 from newegg.

The mem you are showing in the link is not typical Kingmax stuff. Kingmax is well known for their tiny BGA memory sticks and those are regular TSOP chips on that stick. I'm not sure what it is, but I wouldn't consider it "Kingmax" in the classic sense.

As for Kingston memory-I can personally attest to its greatness! I was using Samsung memory, which was good for the price but this stuff just rocks! You can get it at Googlegear for around $130 right now for 512MB of memory. I've got mine at 354Mhz CAS 2 at 5-2-2 settings.

Muggy said:
The mem you are showing in the link is not typical Kingmax stuff. Kingmax is well known for their tiny BGA memory sticks and those are regular TSOP chips on that stick. I'm not sure what it is, but I wouldn't consider it "Kingmax" in the classic sense.

I don't actually believe that the Kingmax PC2700 uses tiny BGA. Most certainly all the sticks I have seen are not, which is a shame imho as I thought they looked kinda cool.
However it is not the appearance or even the chip used which is important but the performance and in the PC2700 from all the reviews ive read and reports from users seem to suggest that it performs well

I know at one point the PC2700 memory from Kingmax was BGA but that's been a few months since I researched it. They may have decided on the TSOP package to save money or for some other reason. But hey, like you said if it runs well, who cares?

Muggy said:
I know at one point the PC2700 memory from Kingmax was BGA but that's been a few months since I researched it. They may have decided on the TSOP package to save money or for some other reason. But hey, like you said if it runs well, who cares?

I would however be interested in knowing the reason of why they changed and what if any performance difference there is between the different types of RAM chip Kingmax have used with the PC2700

Well, mine don't like fast timings at all, and they sure aren't to be used in a P4 system :(. I run mine at 145fsb with a 4/5 ratio giving me 181.25mhz = DDR362.5

Waiting for Granite Bay, and maybe 2 sticks of 512meg corsair 2700 (or 3200, price difference is $5 on newegg right now). Don't really need to ram to be rated at high mhz for those boards.

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Well, mine don't like fast timings at all, and they sure aren't to be used in a P4 system :(. I run mine at 145fsb with a 4/5 ratio giving me 181.25mhz = DDR362.5

Are you certain the problem is related to your memory as I had a similar problem with my Kha+ however when I removed my soundblaster and the NIC I was using at that time, I hit 180 FSB without to much problem.. have you tried removing all not required cards to see what you can get.

Back