• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB sticks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Are there such a thing as 1GB ram sticks?... lol, i presume there are, but none of me local shops or even crucial sell them!!!

I'm looking for DDR 333 any ideas?

big ram

Heh, our workstations where I work use 3x 512 sticks, and the servers each use 3x 1gb sticks + a 512 stick. We're all spoiled. And we're still running out of ram. The workstations each get 2gb of swap, and the servers get 4gb of swap... its barely enough sometimes.

the 1GB sticks I've seen lately aren't too expensive, about double what a 512 costs.

Be careful you don't wind up with ECC if you don't want it. Most of the 1G sticks I saw were ECC.

https://www.dallasmemory.com/ has one, and it has a reasonable resellerrating.

ECC corrects errors, but is not as compatible with motherboards. It is also SLOWER than regular memory, because it has to take time to look for errors. Also, the additional circuitry makes it less likely to overclock well.

I havn't seen anyone making 1024mbit memory chips yet, but they should come around I'm sure.
But then we want some OS that can handle lots of mem too.

you mean lots of mem like... what, you never have more than 4gb, that`s the limit for 32bit processor
i`ll check the limits of ram with xp/2000/Linux

EDIT: yep, that`s it, 4gb for windows 2000 advanced server, an i think is less for the other, not sure about linux but no more than 4gb is for sure

Last edited:
I would stay clear of the 1GB sticks and aim to fill all your Dimms with 512MB sticks.

Only Athlon-64 pcs and Pentium4 Prescott pcs could potentially do with more ram than 2GB or 1.5GB.

My machine has 1.5GB and its MAXED out! which means I gotta buy a new motherboard to get more ram.

OC-Master

ArBiTaL 24 said:
Isn't ECC a good thing?

along with what Ugmore Baggage said a few posts up,
ECC also is slower. The ECC part, the error correction, adds an extral clock delay onto the RAM to preform the Error Correction.
So you you have ECC Turned on, and your RAM running at CAS 2, it be the same speed as CAS 3 RAM. Set it to CAS 3, and you will have 4 clock delays being the Speed of CAS 4.....
You can however turn ECC off and it runs at the same speed as normal RAM. But if you do that, no point spending the extra on the ECC RAM

Cool, thanks peepz.

jay said:

Turned on, and your RAM running at CAS 2, it be the same speed as CAS 3 RAM. Set it to CAS 3, and you will have 4 clock delays being the Speed of CAS 4.....

What does CAS refer to/mean anyway?

CAS or Colum Access Strobe is the Delay in Clock cycles (of your FSB) that is takes for the RAM to preform a READ after reciving a WRITE.

Back