• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM type for MSI K7D Master?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axlecrusher

Hello,
I am looking to purchase the K7D Master and I was wondering what kind of RAM to purchase for it. Can I use PC2700 DDR or will that just waste my money considering the clock speed of the board is 266MHz and the clock speed of PC2700 is 333MHz.

TIA
Axle

pc2700 will work just fine in it. You would get by cheaper with quality pc2100 though, but don't buy generic stuff. Stick with samsung, corsair, kingston, or kingmax. This board can only overclock to a max of 150FSB.

pc2700 will work just fine in it.

Thanks for your answer. Will pc2700 help the speed of my system vs. pc2100? I think it would help but I am not sure. I also feel I would be wasting my money on pc2700. I'll probably go with pc2100 but I would like to know.

Thanks,
Axle

PC2700 will NOT work at full speed, but only at whatever the max FSB you reach is. pc2700 is meant to work at 166mhz, but the max that the board can reach is 150mhz. A stick of pc2700 will most likely run at this speed at the most aggressive timings. A stick of pc2100 may or may not hit this speed, and if it does, most likely it will be with relaxed timings.

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a stick of 512MB Registered PC2100 (Samsung) for $119.50. I'll see what I can get it to do.

Back