• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BX6r2 memory problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tek/|Knowledge

Hi,

I got 2 sticks of 256M PC-133 SDRAM Kingston for my aging Abit BX6-2 and I cannot for the life of me get them to use their full capacity. Each stick gets recognised only as 128M. This happens even if I am only using 1 stick even..

All my other older RAM works fine. Are there any specific settings that need changing t get this working? My mobo supports up to 1Gig so it _should_ work.

Thanks,
Leon.

I am running a single stick of 256Mb Infineon PC133 CAS2 memory on a BX6r2 board myself... runs fine. Maybe the memory you have is bad.

Yeah, it's a shame.... only getting half of mem size.
It all has to do with single and double sided memory.
Older chipsets only handle up to a specific size per bank. I don't remeber exactly, I think it is if the memory is made from more than 16MBit capsules the chipset can adress/reach it.
So new big mems are made with 32Mbit capsules only on one side(cost cost cost of'coz) and the chipset can't "reach" it all. :(
Basicly, OLD board go for DOUBLE SIDED MEMs

Back