• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR after PC100 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemes

Registered
Hello all.
I have been meaning to get some DDR for my new board for a while, and experimenting with overclocking has prooved to me that it is much kneaded indeed heh.
But I have a few questions.
I have been pushing my host+Dram clock to overclock my cpu..ie pushing up my fsb and each time this increased the cpu's speed.
But when I get some DDR ram I will have to set the clock to 133mhz to except the DDR/PC2100 DRAM.....will doing that mean that it will up my cpu speed as well, or will I just have to set the Dram clock to 133mhz and not the host clock.
The reason I ask is that every time I upped the Host clock or Dram clock on my board, the other would automaticly jump to the same setting syncranising the system I suppose.
In my boards booklet, it says set SDRAM clock to 133mhz only for pc2100 compliant DDR modules or pc133mhz compliant sdram.
Any thoughts on this guys?
Regards
Nemes

basically, differnent types of ram limit you FSB, and pc2100 is what your board would need. SO, PC2100 is only gonna work at stock speeds and a little more, aside froma few exceptions. If you were to get higher ddr, ie--- ddr333 (pc2700), it should be able to clock higher. So, higher the ddr = the higher the fsb can go. And yes, fsb and ddr clocks are synchornized I belive, except fo rsome that have a 1:1 ratio (synchronized) and switch to a 1:2 ratio at higher fsbs. Remember---- the board was designed for pc2100, bu tit can take more. Pc2100 is the bare minumum. IMO------ Get some pc2700, thats just my opinion. Also, it may be time to upgrade ur CPU, them Athlon Xps are mad cheap now

Back