• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Help* What ram for new MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceman2g

What do you guys think I should buy 1X256MB CORSAIR PC3200C2 or 1X512MB Samsung Original PC2700? I plan on getting a A7N8X early next year so this decision is geared to towards that new board. I will however be running the ram in my current board (check sig) until I get the board. I'm only have about $270CAD to spend so I need your help. As you can see right now I'm only running 128MB PC2100 so I need something more to hold me over till next year (damn BF1942).

Thanks In Advance

I would definitely recommend the Corsair DDR. The Samsung DDR that has been sold lately doesn't do nearly as well as the old CTL chips did. Most people haven't even been able to do aggressive timings at stock speed with the Samsung. Corsair may be a little more expensive but I think those of us who have used it almost uniformily agree thats its worth the money.

Definitly go with with the the Corsair ! My XMS-3200C2 has been VERY much worth the xtra $$$ and has impressed me greatly ever since the day I installed it . Iam able to run well over 200 FSB (mem timing) at CAS2 and STABLE . My .02 ;) :D

Last edited:
umm...how much is $270 CND in US? i dont know the exchange rate..BUT, i would HIGHLY recommend getting 512mb of the pc3200 corsair xms...this stuff just plain rocks. mines running flawlessly at 192 fsb, highest memory timing my board can handle with a low vdimm of 2.6v

id stay away from samsung for the main reason that its rated at cas 2.5, so to get really fast timings (cas 2 1T command and such) you will have to pump the voltage, and that board can only do 2.7 vdimm...

if you can, get the corsair, preferably the 512mb stick, but 256 is fine for now, and when you get more money get anoter 256mb stick, which would also allow you to run dual ddr

playing games i say 512mb of something,either is good.
corsair even makes a 2700 C2
i lucked out when i bought my samsung.does 194 C2.0-2-2-5 i dont personally believe in buying the best and most expensive.i by the best and what might oc well.
im not knocking doing that tho,just my personal beliefs.
but i did save over $70 my way.

"edit" ranger joe did make a good point about the vdimm settings.my samsung is at 3vdimm.and it does need it to run this high.and btw i dont worry about smoken it as i have corsair 2100 that does 200+ @ 2.5c :D as a backup.

i have yet to see what i can do without any memory timings upgraded...the first time i booted with this stuff...i turned everything to max, didnt have to burn in or anything....i could probably run it at 2.5v, but 2.6 is fine just to play it safe...

get pc2700 corsair cas 2 if you dont plan on doing crazy overclocks (200 fsb or more) but if you plan on getting 200+ fsb out of your ram, then get some pc3200, it can do it easier (lower voltage..means it will last longer)

iceman2g said:
What do you guys think I should buy 1X256MB CORSAIR PC3200C2 or 1X512MB Samsung Original PC2700? I plan on getting a A7N8X early next year so this decision is geared to towards that new board. I will however be running the ram in my current board (check sig) until I get the board. I'm only have about $270CAD to spend so I need your help. As you can see right now I'm only running 128MB PC2100 so I need something more to hold me over till next year (damn BF1942).

Thanks In Advance

my philosophy is that if you can afford the higher quality stuff (the corsair in this case) go ahead and get it. i know that isn't good investment wise, but i see computers as my hobby and i don't feel bad at all about spending money on it. for example, my dad is very tight with this money... he works hard for it and doesn't like to give it up, but he will still go out and play golf 1 - 2 times a week for about $30 a round. he has no problem with that so i see my computer hobby being about the same, price wise since i don't buy 1 - 2 things a week (even though that would rock) :D

iceman2g said:
thanks for all the help guys think i'm gonna get the corairs.
sounds like a good idea... plus i hear corsair ram is a great oc'er. someday i will have to try some when i do a full overhaul...

Corsair all the way. I had Samsung and Corsair blows it away.

You can use aggressive timing settings with Corsair, not with Samsung.

Back