• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

highest possible fsb without corruption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
just checking..i have a 5:1 divider on my 8k3a+ so at what point do you think i should stop trying to up my fsb? i have an ibm 120GXP 80gb...and pc3200 corsair xms cas 2....it only taks 2.6 vdimm to run the fastest timings allowed and 192 fsb, so im guessing i wont need to use the 3.2vdimm allowed on the board

I wouldn't worry too much, most hard drives should be fine to at least around 40 MHz PCI, of course their are probably some exceptions. My advice would be to keep going higher, I've been as high as 208 MHz FSB and haven't gotten any data corruption with my Maxtor.

ive tried 40MHz on my system with the 1/4 divisor and i didnt even feel it. Give a try to 200MHz, but BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST. Theres no risk on physical damig

if all else fails, and it gets corrupt, i can still just slave the drive...and copy it to my brothers computer and format and stuff...if i have time this week, im going to finish unlocking it..and give 200 mhz a try.

some high fsb advice.as im the hdd corruption king:D
i dont do over 3vdimm on my ram.above that is kinda scary.
get win2kpro i swear by it,id even kiss uncle bill for making it.
wanna know why?
i never ,ever had a hdd corruption with mine.if i do get a corruption error i just back my fsb down and reboot and it self heals.this is my experiance,and trust me i did 1 1/2 years in hell with 98se.

if u have 98se and thats all if u get a corruption mainly all i did was reinstall the system files.do it like a install but you can just install over windows files and all your stuff stays.

if you get corruption with xp pro you can just back the fsb down also it will "heal itself". I know from experience as my wd will corrupt at anything over 37.5 mhz

i have a 40 gig wd too and it hasnt corrpted yet. on my old ak31 mainboard the pci speed was around 49mhz and the drive never once corrupted. if u do happen to run into coruption and u have and onboard raid controller try using it instead of the via ide ports. seems to handle high fsb with crappy drives a little better

No raid here unfortunately. mine might just be crappy. stuff happens what are ya gonna do. Once I finally settle on an nforce2 that will be a thing of the past. until then just have to watch that pci speed. also seagates are a great choice they do handle high fsbs better.

a lot of old programs must be, the only program that i have to use the compatibility assistant of windows xp to make it work was Autocad 2000, i haven`t had any other problem with xp or 2000, only the drivers for my webcam that are beta and lost a few things, but it works

RnPgrosz said:
I wouldn't worry too much, most hard drives should be fine to at least around 40 MHz PCI, of course their are probably some exceptions. My advice would be to keep going higher, I've been as high as 208 MHz FSB and haven't gotten any data corruption with my Maxtor.

glad to hear that.. I have the same HD :D

RangerJoe said:
alot of programs didnt work on 2000....this is a very widely known issue

Like the other guy said, didn't is the right word. And if you enable compatibility mode it further decreases of the chance of that happening.

-PC

arkan said:
i have a 40 gig wd too and it hasnt corrpted yet. on my old ak31 mainboard the pci speed was around 49mhz and the drive never once corrupted. if u do happen to run into coruption and u have and onboard raid controller try using it instead of the via ide ports. seems to handle high fsb with crappy drives a little better

49MHz!!!!!!!!!
is that right

Back