• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pny ocing capability??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

One1world

Registered
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and never oced before. I saw a adv for pny pc2100 memory and was wondering how good that memory is for ocing. I'm planning on buying a 8kha+ , with 1700+ thoroughbred (or anything else anybody can suggest) and maybe this pny memory on sale at compusa. Any advise on the subject, especially the pny would be much appreciated, thx:) . I tried to do a search in this forum for pny but it keeps saying 4 letter min. for the search engine to work :( .

WELCOME One1world

I had a stick of pny 2100, 256 mb, a while back. While running in tandem with a 256mb stick of kingston, I didn't get good results.

Alone, the kingston handled cas2, as well as the rest of the turbo timings. I can't say the same about the pny. I also got it on sale at compusa.

Without going into more detail with numbers that i'm kinda fuzzy on, since it was a little while ago, I'll tell you that pny is NOT generally a good brand for oc'ing. My memory benchmarks didn't improve at all with the pny. It's not a good idea to mix brands, and it's best to use one stick of memory (like 512mb instead of 2x256mb).

If you want performance, don't skimp out on the memory, as it's one of the most critical components of your system. I suggest some corsairXMS or crucial.

*edit*
If you shop right, you should be able to find a KT333 mobo for about the same price as that 8kha+, and the difference between 2700 ddr and 2100 ddr prices isn't too much. Also, the 1800 t'bred will oc better at lower voltages than the 1700 tbred.

Thx for the greeting specific :). And much appreciate the advise. I was thinking of buying the corsair xms, but then in the cyberdeals forum someone posted that compusa is having a sale for pny for $40 for 2 sticks of 256 pc2100 (after mir). I was stuck, debating to buy pny or dish out the extra $120 or more for the corsair. Thanks again :).

Not a problem:D

I don't like MIR's at all anyway. And when i returned the PuNY ram, it was a bit of a hassle to stop the MIR process and get my money back. You should fast for a few days, live off water and crackers, and save up for the corsair. You won't regret it.

actually i got a 256mb stick of pny 2100 from bestbuy thouhgt it would be crap but, it's running great . 146mhz=292mhz @CAS 2 w/ pretty aggressie memory timiing.

some PNY 2100 = disguised Samsung PC2700

Yup. When buying PNY memory, look into the chips themselves and you'll some of them are made of samsung chips. Of these samsung chips, ther are some Samsung PC2700 chips that were mis-packaged as PC2100 chips. If you see Samsung chips that have TCB3 markings, these are PC2700 chips. If you see Samsung chips that have TCB0 markings, these are PC2100.

looking at the chips is the best way to tell if it will be a descent stick or not unless u get a stick with a crappy pcb. a lot of the pny out there have "specktek" chips on them. avoid them like the plague if u really want to overclock bc they dont seem to be consistent performance wise. i had one stick reach 172 slackest timings aftere a full week of burning it in with memtest86. it didnt like tight timings at any speed or voltage. the stick i have now wont do over 149 at any timings. at the moment its humming along at 147 fsb @ 2-5-2-1t timings with cpu command decode set to ultra and a full set of wpcredit tweaks with 2.8 vdimm. theres only a two mhz difference between its max at slackest and tightest timings. a stick i bought for a friend wont do over 137 mhz period. im not sure who specktek is but if you go to their website (when its acftually working) the entyire website is copyrighting by micron the parent of crucial. since specktek chips seem to be popping up everywhere in generic memeory ive run across it seems micron invented a company to sell off its generic leftovers. and if you are lucky enough to find a pny with samsung chips dont expect miracles. the pcb doesnt seem of the same quality as an original samsung pcb and stability suffers at higher speeds

Back