• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowChemical

I have a question about RAM since I am fairly new to installing most computer parts, I mostly just do case/back-lighting mods, so I was wondering. My other computer is a Compaq Presario with SIMM slots and 128 MB of SDRAM(stock), would installing more RAM reduce the number of times I get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death? What about De-Fragging the Hard-Drive? Would installing more RAM run the whole thing faster?

Here are some of the specs for the computer:
904 Mhz AMD-Athlon Processor
128 MB of SD RAM
Some crappy Nvidia Video Card
Some crappy Sound Blaster

What other MODS should I make to bring this computer up to date? I use my Alienware for games but I wanna LAN them for beating up friends on CS or Un-Real Tourney....

Thanks for the Help,
SlowChemical

The blue screen of death could be due to various problems. You should note the message at each BSOD and trace it back to what caused it.

Sometimes, faulty memory or overclocking too much can cause BSODs. Adding more RAM wouldn't help in that situation. You should run a memory test program to verify the integrity of your current RAM, and perhap replace it if bad bits are found, which may cause the blue screen of death.

Adding more RAM generally increases performance, but does not prevent a BSOD. Replacing your RAM may prevent it if your current RAM is faulty.

Back