• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Hey i just bot another stick of 512 PC2100 DDR RAM with heat spreaders and a fan that goes on top and i was thinking about overclocking it and was wondering exactly how you did that if you used a program or something like that, so if some of you more experianced users could clue me in that would be great!
thanks

Basically when you incress your FSB to a faster speed than your RAM is rated for, you are overclocking the RAM.

AS your PC2100 is ratted for 133FSB, running it at any speed faster than that is overclocking the RAM.

Usally this is now (changing the FSB) done in the BIOS.
Also do note that when you change your FSB, you CPU will overclock, and along with your PCI divices if you dont have a PCI lock

how do you lock your pci cards, and is there any way to just overclock your ram bc i do not have a sufficient cooling system to overclock my cpu right now

Depends on the motherboard. As of right now, the only thing that will resemple a PCI lock in the nforce2 board, eg: Asus A7N8X. All KTxxx chipsets do not have PCI lock, they only have dividers. Let me explain. The PCI bus runs at 33mhz, and the AGP runs at 66mhz. The PCI bus runs at half the AGP speed. So with 100fsb, you are on the /3 divider, shown as this:

(divider - agp - pci)

3:2:1

Up to 133mhz

4:2:1

Up to 166mhz

5:2:1

And if there was a /6 divisor available:

6:2:1

Hope that helps.

-PC

Last edited:
Back