• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung or Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerblue31

Registered
First time poster asking for a bit of advise.

I'm thinking of changing my Samsung pc3200 ram to Corsair pc3200.
Currently i've got the samsung memory set to aggressive timings in bios and not once encountered a problem, even set at cas2 settings. Turbo mode as well.

Will i notice a difference, and is it worth the extra brass.

Regards

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

Are you trying to overclock higher or are you planning on running the new RAM at your current speed and settings? If so, there really wouldn't be too much point in upgrading. In my opinion, Corsair makes the best overclocking memory however if what you have now works and satisfies your overclocking needs, why spend the money?

~THT

Cheers for that , i'll actually be upgrading to an Asus A7N8X m/board, with XP 2600, with overclocking definetly in mind.

sorry, current system is:

XP2000/SLK800(FSB 136), Asus a7v333 , Leadtek TI4400(310 / 660) ,512mb Samsung PC2700, Samsung CDRW / DVD Drive, 450w PSU, ASUS Panel / Hardcano 3, Various Fans on custom case, SB Live

How do you make it appear below thread?

Well what do you have, PC2700 or PC3200? You state in the 1st thread PC3200 but your signature states PC2700.

Is it True Samsung, or Generic with Samsung chips? (BIG difference)

I am partial to Corsair myself because I own a stick of XMS-3200C2 and it performs so well compared to my Crucial PC2100 and a stick of GEIL PC3500 that I returned to NewEgg.

If you intend to overclock further, why not just try pushing your current memory before deciding to swap it out for Corsair?

If you're currently running PC2700 and are wanting to overclock, get the Corsair brand. It carries a premium price for a good reason as it is, in my opinion, the best stuff out there. The PC3200 is rated to run 200MHz 3-3-6 however I'm currently running mine at 199MHz 2-2-5. I'm sure if I loosened up my timings, it would go further but due to the A7N8X's poor support of greater than 200MHz bus speeds, I won't bother.

As you're getting the A7N8X, I'd suggest getting two modules of 256MB so you can take advantage of the dual channel DDR. Also, get the PC3200 not the PC3500. It seems some people are still having issues with running it in pairs. Corsair backs all their memory products with a lifetime warranty and I can tell you from experience, their customer service department does a great job of RMAing faulty memory.

~THT

Thanks for that Top Hat.

Could you explain what this dual channel memory config is, i've seen it mentioned a few times.

Essentially, rather than a single 64-bit channel accessing the memory, when you install two or more DIMMs, the chipset activates a second channel to theoretically doubles the available bandwidth. I don't understand it completely myself so I'll point you to an expert:

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1654&p=3

Performance gains are minimal UNLESS you're using the onboard video (which, why would a serious gamer do that anyway?)

~THT

Back