• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why 2 sticks of ram dont overclock as well.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
From what I've seen the problem is voltage.

I've got two sticks that will do 172 together. Im currently running one by itself at 195. Any more and my PCI can't take it.

Another stick does 187 in my system with a 350 sparkle (Has 3.45ish on 3.33) and wont even do 175 on my 300 L&C (dips to around 3.15-3.2 on 3.33 when overclocking)

It's just a theory at the moment But I bet if you get a power supply with ASSLOADS of 3.3, you will have no problem overclocking 2+ sticks of ram. This assumes ram voltage comes from 3.3 (I guessed that much because that is where the biggest difference between the two supplies was).

It seems logical to me that if power supply is a problem for one stick... it's even more of a problem for two. But once I've tested this, we will see.

Very interesting.

I could only run 2 sticks at 172 before with my sparkle 300.. I've since upgraded to a 350 sparkle ... And I'm currently testing these two sticks together at 187mhz. No problems yet.

Yes, I'd say power supply plays a huge role. Another thing I noticed is that if you dont overclock, or even instead underclock your cpu... Your ram will go higher. One stick of crucial will do 192 with cpu at 1.75 volts and ~1300mhz. If I raise the cpu to 1650-1750 at 1.85 volts (where I usually overclock it to) It caps at 187mhz. Any Higher and the comp doesnt crash but Ps2 devices stop responding (THIS IS NOT due to FSB increase as the fsb runs just fine at 195mhz with cpu lower). Again this leads me to believe its a lack of power issue.

Both my systems are running at 187mhz right now.

1 with 2 sticks... one tested to 195mhz the other tested to 187mhz.

1 with 1 stick... tested to 192 mhz.

Both are chugging along with prime just fine at the moment.

Tbred A 1700+ @ 1870mhz 10x187 1.75v
and
Palimino Agoia 1800+ @1683mhz 9x187 1.75v
Respectively
May try raising the palimino to 9.5 and 1.85v

Hadn't thought of that Phob, but then again, a P4 system generally has a good deal less power draw then an athlon system, which means more juice available for ram. Or I could just be wrong. *Shrugs*

And thanks Nin

Lithan said:
Hadn't thought of that Phob, but then again, a P4 system generally has a good deal less power draw then an athlon system, which means more juice available for ram. Or I could just be wrong. *Shrugs*

And thanks Nin

really... so i guess my 400w one cant cut it :(

Back