• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32bit RDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

how is the new "pc scheme" worked out with this memory...I was under the impression that the original was...

(100FSB x 4(QDR)) x 2(Dual channel) = PC800
(133FSB x 4(QDR)) x 2(Dual channel) = PC1066

now...the new stuff is rated at PC3200 and PC4200 - whether or not this is an "AMD" type approach to provide a speed to the regular joe buyer more inline with that of DDR...

I tried adding a further multiplier of 2 for the memory bank being twice as big but that still read a 200MHz FSB :S

the old stuff(rambus) is 16 bit 184 pin and has to used in pairs,2x16=32.the new stuff is 32 bit 232 pin and doesnt have to be put in pairs. it comes in 2 flavors pc800 and pc1066. or pc as fast as u can overclock it. they have a maximum bandwidth of 3.2 and 4.2 gig respectively.

the old stuff is 16bit and has to come in quads actually - its a 64bit bus your filling - thats not what I asked about :p - but thanks for the info on the bandwidth

It's basically a name change (besides 16/32bit)...3200=pc800 and 4200=pc1066.

As I remember the 3200/4200 name is the theoretical bandwidth of the memory. Trying to be on the same page as ddr, as far as classifying memory speed.

Last edited:
Yeah, maxwedge pretty much said it. The old nomenclature indicated pseudo-Mhz, whereas the new (32bit) nomenclature refers to bandwidth in Mb/s, as is common for DDR memory.

DDR has a similar 'dual' naming system: DDR333 (Mhz name) is aka PC2700 (mb/s name) etc.

yeah im a bit stupid not to think of bandwidth...its obviously AMDesque lets give it a high number in the name to keep up with rivals...

Back