• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100 and 2700 combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

will a stick of 256 MB 2100 and stick of 256 MB 2700 work on the same board?
The board supports up to 2700.

and is this a bad idea to mix?

well it should work together at 133 FSB (or PC2100) but once you start going to a higher FSB the PC2100 might start to crap out. Your best bet is to put both sticks in at 133 FSB and keep upping FSB until your get errors.

This is usually not a problem, but as already mentioned, it is likely that you will only be able to run them at 133fsb.

PC3200 or PC3500 however mixed with other RAM COULD cause problems, as neither stick has been made standard so compatibility problems may arise

I gather that even varying the brand among similar speeds can cause problems, not that it's ever happened to me.

That said, I don't see why all RAM shouldn't be backward compatible, regardless of spec standards laid out by a committee, but if you get CAS3 3200 and you had CAS2 2100 you'll actually have to run at (or near) CAS3 2100 which is the worst of all possible worlds.

Ugmore Baggage said:
That said, I don't see why all RAM shouldn't be backward compatible, regardless of spec standards laid out by a committee

It should be, and generally is.
the reason i have pointed out PC3200 and PC3500 is becuase this is NO SPEC and nothing layed out by a committe to ensure quality or compatibility

Genjix said:
will a stick of 256 MB 2100 and stick of 256 MB 2700 work on the same board?
The board supports up to 2700.

and is this a bad idea to mix?

to say it simply, yes they will work together but they will both run at 2100 speeds, even the 2700 stick since they can't run at different speeds.

Back