• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100/2700/3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
these Ram speeds- 2100/2700/3500 (i think that's as high as it goes). What do these numbers actually REFER to? (i think it's something like 2100=266, 2700=333, 3500=400Mhz or something like that, but i'm not sure).

Also, which one to get? And will the RAM be restricted by the mobo's bus?

I.e. i think this is right... The newer P4 mobo's are 533mhz bus, so you could have 3500 ram in there and it would fit in the bandwidth? But what about the FSB, doesn't that affest it, or is it just based on the bus and the FSB acts as some kind of tranfer route with multipliers and devisors to ensure the correct data bandwidth/voltage goes to the right place?

Or am i totally wrong?:p

as far as amds are concerned. 2100 wil run 133 fsb- and probably oc to about 148. 2700 will run 166 and probably oc to 180. 3200 will run at 200 and probably oc to 220. so far, most 3500 ram is just more ocable 3200. what does this mean? If you are shooting for uber high fsb- you will need 3200- if not, 2100 or 2700 is fine.
As far as pentims- as I understand it- the pentium fsbs are quad pumped- so that 533 number that you see is 133x4 (as opposed to amd which is 133x2 or 166x2). The ram still runs at 133.

And 3200 will mun on most motherboards? Or do you have to run the FSB very high to provide the bandwidth for the ram?

* Is this hard to do? (soz, i haven't changed FSB in overclock b4)
* If it isn't, will it slow the RAM down? or will it be more like "empty, unused space"?

Achieving 200MHz requires you to get good hardware. I suggest an Asus A7N8X mobo with a Tbred 1800 and some corsair XMS3200. Drop the multiplier via the BIOS and raise your FSB to 200 and you're good to go.

~THT

Soz, the proc's already decided. Here's what i'm thinking so far:

mobo= ??? (suggestions needed here)
HDD= 80/120gb 7,200
proc= 2.8 or 3.06HT P4
Ram= 1.5GB (3x512 333)
Graphics= 9700 pro/ TI4600
Case= LL-60 from xoxide (already ordered)

So, whaddya think?

i think you have a lot of money :D

you system looks good, but the same specs can be achieved with cheaper parts, tho HT does make this argument not really vaild, you can get say a 2.4Ghz P4 and oc it to ~3gigs this seems easily doable. that alone would save you a few hundred $'s also if u arent planning on overclocking, you may want to check out 1gb ram sticks, they will leave you some free slots should you decide to upgrade in the future, also memory doesnt play well with other memory sticks, so that may lead to better stabliliy/overclocking.

just a few tips to help you out, but from the looks of that system you have some high end use planned and would need the fastest available.

Digital

Digital Pimp said:
i think you have a lot of money :D

you system looks good, but the same specs can be achieved with cheaper parts, tho HT does make this argument not really vaild, you can get say a 2.4Ghz P4 and oc it to ~3gigs this seems easily doable. that alone would save you a few hundred $'s also if u arent planning on overclocking, you may want to check out 1gb ram sticks, they will leave you some free slots should you decide to upgrade in the future, also memory doesnt play well with other memory sticks, so that may lead to better stabliliy/overclocking.

just a few tips to help you out, but from the looks of that system you have some high end use planned and would need the fastest available.

Digital

Thanx!! The idea of this system if to "future-proof", so that, say, in 2 years time i can get a major upgrade and my system will STILL not be inferior at that time... IE if i had 1.5gb now, in 2yrs it would still be good. This is because i've been saving hard for a year now for this PC, and i can't to afford to just upgrade every 4 months because a new graphix card comes out or something...
That's why i'm picking the best bits now.
I looked into 1gb ram sticks, there's hardly any available and the few that are are about $500 each:eek: .
BTW i like HT and also, whilst i could overclock a 2.4-3Ghz, i couldoverclock a 3Ghz to 3.5/3.6Ghz :D:drool:
I'll look into 1GB more though, thanks! :)

svenrune said:
If i remember right you could run in to troubble with 3*doubblesided ram sticks.

Oh? are there any links to this? as this could cause problems with my overclocking. If you could find any links tothis, i'd be REALLY intrested (and a little peeved):D.

Thanx peepx, ArBiTaL24.

the only thing you can really do is just get your system setup and try it...if you get problems try messing around with the memory IE using one stick and seeing how high you can oc...

one thing u may have overlooked, and this has been getting some attention on the front page, what kind of monitor are you using, no point in having a pimpin' system if your using a 15" monitor. or if your computer chair is one from the kitchen you may want something a little more comfortable.

tho it is good to try to 'future proof' your system, i wouldent spend say... $3000 on it now, but rather spend 2500, and save the other $500, or wait till something better did come out and use that as my 1 upgrade.

Digital

Yea, that's what i was thinking, but processor is like £500 on it's own...

Oh, moniter and chair- well, i just picked up a BRAND NEW, STILL BOXED second hand 19" monitor (Scott- unknown brand) for £15!!!! My special bargain...

My current chair is a £30 blue teflon coated gas lift star base office chair, but i wanna get a nice leather executive one soon after, with tilt and everything ;)

Also wanna get a new desk, but no more room in my room for larger one :(
I need one that won't hide my tower, so i get the most out of the fans and me and other people can see it and inside in on the componants while i work ;)

Back