• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 or PC3500 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

I plan on buying 512MB of XMS next week. My question is which type to buy? 3200 or 3500? Will 3500 OC better than 3200 or does it even matter? I'm also looking at long term when the new chipsets come out and I will buy another stick for a dual channel setup. Will 3500 be the preferred type to run 6-9 months down the road?

I think Corsair is still having issues with running two sticks of XMS3500 however, I wouldn't say that it would be a wasted investment. Some people get really nice sticks that overclock well. I personally opted for the 3200 because I knew it would overclock well enough for my needs.

~THT

it sorta depends on what system you're running - intel, down the road, is going to be pushing the 200mhz fsb (quad -pumped to 800mhz) supposedly instead of pushing clock speed............AMD, who knows what they are going to do until they get the hammer out...............really depends also on what you do most w/your system - gaming or video....................

Yeah, I'd get pc3200. Cas2, of course. XMS pc3500 is having trouble with the Nforce2 chipset, and they're actually releasing a second version specifically for those boards.

I just wondering if 9 months to a year down the road if 3500 will be the sought after product instead of 3200. But it seems that right now there are problems with the 3500?? Does the XMS 3200 generally OC better? Is it more stable?

PC3500 generally overclocks higher as it's default rated speed is higher than PC3200. However, it really is a crapshoot to get a good stick. I was faced with this same dilemma however I chose the 3200 b/c it's cheaper and is not having the issues that the current revision is having. If you can, wait for a new revision to come out of Corsair or if you can't, go with the 3200.

~THT

Back