• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 DDR slots on main board, which one to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zazuk

3 DDR slots on main board, which one to use? I have a Asus A7V333 and 1 stick of memory and 3 slots to put it in, should it goes closest to the CPU or in the furthest form the CPU or in the middle? Or does it matter? :confused:
I have it closest to CPU right now.

It dosen't really matter. I always put it in the "Dimm 1" slot on the motherboard, but in truth it makes no difference.

Some boards it does matter. If you are running 1 stick is needs to go into "slot 0/1" usually going from left to right when looking t the board, Soyo goes from right to left though. If you have a smaller RAM size and a larger RAM size then the larger one MUST go in the first slot.

In theory however as stated, only 1 stick should show no matter where it is placed. However, I do not recommend using only one stick of any size RAM. You should always have 2 incase one stick burns a module.
Just MHO and .02 cents.

Good point...

Also, why do so many mobo manufactures only put 3 slots on the mobo, yet claim 3GB max? surely they know how hard it is to get 1gb sticks! why don't they put 4 slots? (this would also solve about 4,000 problems for me at the moment) :D

the more sticks they use the harder it is to get it stable.maybe that has something to do with it.

I've never seen 1 gb DDR sticks. Only 1gb PC133 SDRAM sticks.

Well, I guess the mobo technology, support for 1gb DDR sticks, moves faster than RAM technology.

I usually put it in the closest slot to the CPU, too. Though I think it makes little difference. Kind of the same thing as putting your NIC in the first PCI slot. Except less important. Usually it's "DIMM 0" or "DIMM 1."

NONONONONONONO OMG NEVER put the NIC in the 1st slot- what are you doing? you know that's where the modem goes! how can anyone think that? OMG OMG OMG ;) :D :p
j/k :D

Back