• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best memory arrangement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

its time for me to move on from 256MB RAM and come to the world of 512...but im wondering what would be the best way to do this...

my motherboard has 3x DIMM capable of 512MB max and I currently have 2 sticks of 128 in there now here are my options as I see it...

OPTION 1 - cheaper as I keep the two sticks I already have and put in just another stick of 256...
-------128---------
-------128---------
-------256---------

OPTION 2 - nice as I can sell the two sticks of 128 to make some money back and then get two sticks of 256 both at CL2
-------256---------
-------256---------
---------------------

OPTION 3 - nice again as I can sell the other sticks but the 512 in my price range is at CL3
-------512---------
---------------------
---------------------

but how important is the CL speed literally - if it isnt really that important I will go with the 1 stick of 512 option but will Iee faster results using 2x 256 at CL2

also how much does it matter how you arrange? will the 2x128 1x256 just feel the same as 1x 512?

just looked at some benchmarks CL2 is obviously better...some cases only a tiny tiny amount in others you see 10+ fps gain...

depends on your mobo,mine cannot use all three dimm slots as 1 and 2 share resourses.the max i can use is two sticks in slots 1 and 3,yours may be different.
yea at cl2 it'll be faster.

where would I find out what my motherboard can handle in that respect? or is the only way by trying with other sticks?

Back