• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disappointed with samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medicated

so, i have a 512MB stick of samsung pc2700 in my machine and it simply will not do anything past 166, if i set the fsb at 167 even, my machine won't post. according to the debug LED thing on my mobo, it hangs up trying to expand the compressed BIOS code to DRAM. tried setting the vdimm up to 2.9, no change. So, my machine is running stable right now at 11.5x166 (1800+ tbred at 1.675 vcore) and only 39C at full load, so i would like to push the FSB higher. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to what ram i should buy to make this possible.

Hrm I doubt its a limitation on the memory you are hitting if you are just running it 1mhz over spec. Perhaps its some weird bios setting that is causing you issues? what mobo do you have?

and in answer to your question I love my corsair xms pc3200 cas2.0

using an epox 8rda+, BIOS is ver 2C10. don't know if it could be a bios setting, i left the ram timings on optimal, think it was like 2.5-2-2-7, but i would have to check to be sure.

Deathknight said:
Hrm I doubt its a limitation on the memory you are hitting if you are just running it 1mhz over spec. Perhaps its some weird bios setting that is causing you issues? what mobo do you have?

my thoughts too!

i am running a 256meg strip of true samsung pc2700 at fsb speeds of 11.5x193@386mhz the ram runs fine it dosn't run the fastest timings but with the high fsb in sisoft sadra memory benches i am getting 2821 mb/s of bandwidth. wich is decent for pc2700 ram. try running the ram at BY SPEED in bios. pluss if you are running a mobo that is using a 4:2:1 divider @266for the cpu. than that could be the problem aswell.

i had a shuttle ak35gt2 mainboard that only had a 4:2:1 divider and couldn't get the fsb over 167. it wasn't the ram it was the mobo. i am useing the same stick of ram now and i love it.

pretty sure it's not the ram.

i tried setting the ram to run by speed in the bios and setting the fsb to 170, got farther than it was getting before, but this time hung on the memory test...

there is nothing to hear about XMS than great things.... exvept that it costs nearly $100 more than samsung or crucial for a 256 stick..

Medicated said:
i tried setting the ram to run by speed in the bios and setting the fsb to 170, got farther than it was getting before, but this time hung on the memory test...

as i said before if you are running a 4:2:1 divider on youre mobo than you won't be ale to run higher fsb speeds. because after you go so high with the fsb you run into hardware falure.

what is youre cpu clock set at? 133 or 166? i'm not talking about the one you actualy set to change the fsb.when you go into bios you will see a cpu clock speed that is not adjustable. it will say 266 or 333 no matter what you have the fsb set at.

walldow said:

as i said before if you are running a 4:2:1 divider on youre mobo than you won't be ale to run higher fsb speeds. because after you go so high with the fsb you run into hardware falure.

what is youre cpu clock set at? 133 or 166? i'm not talking about the one you actualy set to change the fsb.when you go into bios you will see a cpu clock speed that is not adjustable. it will say 266 or 333 no matter what you have the fsb set at.

my mobo doesn't have dividers, pci and agp are locked, and besides, even if that was the problem, shouldn't it get past the memory test and then crash later on in the boot process?

as to the cpu clock thing, i'm not sure what you are referring to. i looked at everything in the bios and didn't see anything referring to a CPU clock besides the multiplier option. the only thing i noticed that resembles what you are talking about is the resulting frequency listed for the memory, which is at 166 (mem freq set to auto, so its sync'ed with fsb). i'm don't think this is what you are talking about though, is it possible that this is displayed in your bios and not mine?

yes, maybe our bios read differently they are to different companies, i am not familiar with EPOX and the locked agp and pci busses. but uafter going to epox' i see that the board is an nforce 2 chipset capable of the 333fsb speeds. so lets start here.

are you running the cpu clock at 166 corect?

and also have the ram set to run sync wth the cpu at 166 also correct?

what cpu are you running?

i had a xp 2200 that wouldn't even think of running the 333fsb for anything! might be the cpu can't handle the bandwith?

we know its not hardware since you have locked agp and pci!

are there any options in dram settings that alow you to run the ram with the cpu like 3/4 or 1/1 any options like that?

sorry for the earlier post about the dividers. i should have done some more research on youre mobo before jumping the gun.

ok ,the only way i might be able to help scince i can't see youre bios is to ask you to go into bios and write down what cpu options you have (and what you have them set at)and what dram options you have (and what you have them set at) yes i might be a little time consumming but that is the only way i can help, is to get all the info i can.

unless mabe somone else has an epox board like youres and can help. but unless you got a bad stick of ram wich it is posable but not likley. youre mobo and ram should run atleast 190fsb or better. depending on the cpu of course?

well, seems like it is possible that it isn't the ram that is the problem, but the DIMM slots on the mobo. after running fine for 4 days, all 3 DIMM slots on my board have ceased to work at all...rather annoying. seems like its RMA time, cept the board isn't in stock and mwave lists it as discontinued. why do i think it is going to be a major hassle for me to get a replacement? :( well, maybe when/if i get a functioning replacement i will be able to oc it more...

Back