• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't believe what I'm about to say!!! OCZ runs better than Corsair 3500 C2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
OK, I am the FIRST to know that OCZ Tech has been (may or may not still be) fairly shady. Since migrating to an nForce 2 mobo, I have had big issues with getting my FSB to a respectable level. I have an Epox 8RDA+ and an ASUS A7N8X. For me, the Asus is way better than the Epox, it is volt modded but that is not the topic here. I have gone through 5 sticks of Corsair 3500 C2 ram. Ram'd 1 stick once, then both sticks for a total of 5 different sticks. The last RMA was from Corsair directly too. Max FSB with the Corsair and either of my mobo's was 200, no matter the multiplier of the CPU. I have seen users with the OCZ EL DDR that have had nothing but GOOD to say about it, read some reviews with the same conclusions..... Me scratches head and thinks, "OK, I'm gonna take one for the team and order this stuff, even if I have to pay the 15% restocking fee if it sucks". Well guess what? THIS STUFF ROCKS! Currently running at 211 x 11 to test it out, 2.8V. Now I don't know how they would each perform in say a P4 system or a KT333 or a KT400 system but in the nForce2 board, the OCZ EL DDR 3500 is clearly the winner in terms of stability. I can't believe I'M using OCZ! I still feel like I need my head examined!

Re: I can't believe what I'm about to say!!! OCZ runs better than Corsair 3500 C2!

nikhsub1 said:
I still feel like I need my head examined!

I could've told you that before you thought about ordering this stuff!;)

Actually, we'll just have to wait and see. I've seen several cases where OCZ got awesome reviews, a few people got good products, and then everything went downhill. If they've cleaned up their act, that would be awesome!
But I think I'll wait till I see dozens of good posts about it here to change my verdict.
Let's hope.
Or pray.
Or sacrifice floppy drives to the OC gods.
Or whatever you feel like doing.

Re: Re: I can't believe what I'm about to say!!! OCZ runs better than Corsair 3500 C2!

Caffinehog said:

I could've told you that before you thought about ordering this stuff!;)

Actually, we'll just have to wait and see. I've seen several cases where OCZ got awesome reviews, a few people got good products, and then everything went downhill. If they've cleaned up their act, that would be awesome!
But I think I'll wait till I see dozens of good posts about it here to change my verdict.
Let's hope.
Or pray.
Or sacrifice floppy drives to the OC gods.
Or whatever you feel like doing.
I know, I feel the SAME WAY but I always have to see for myself, I'm one of those idiots! Prime 95 would not run overnight with folding at FSB 200 with the Corsair 3500, in the morning if Prime is still running, I got some GOOD ram! Will let you know tomorrow!

Re: Re: Re: I can't believe what I'm about to say!!! OCZ runs better than Corsair 3500 C2!

nikhsub1 said:

I know, I feel the SAME WAY but I always have to see for myself, I'm one of those idiots!

Me too. I have an a7n8x. Which board is this in? The A7N8X?

Note that lots of people have had problems with corsair's pc3500 in Nforce2 boards, and that Corsair is coming out with a second line of pc3500 sticks specifically for Nforce2.

Hi Caffinehog, me again.

I also have 2 sticks of OCZ pc3500c2 running at 206mhz with 2.6v. The timing are 2/2/3/5. OCZ states that "some" 845x motherboards would require 2/3/2/7 timings.

I agree with nikhsub1, this memory is at least as good as Corsair's... but cheaper.

Only time will tell as Caffinehog said

We need another good memory producer for competition!

Caffinehog said:

Me too. I have an a7n8x. Which board is this in? The A7N8X?

Note that lots of people have had problems with corsair's pc3500 in Nforce2 boards, and that Corsair is coming out with a second line of pc3500 sticks specifically for Nforce2.

Anyone have an idea about the new ram for the nForce 2 boards? Once the Ram Guy mentioned it in November, I haven't heard a thing about it. I remember he said it would be about 2 months away, but now that it's January, and I still haven't heard anything I was just wondering if any one else has some info on it.

Last edited:
Gee, I'm running my Corsair 3500 at 212 fsb.
From what I have observed the OCZ as well as Geil ram *can* give good performance, but only under qualifying conditions. That being, to a point, the ram likes the hardware. Plus the major point being, it depends on the batch of ram that OC Systems makes concerning any particular run. One run may come out very well indeed and the next run sux. The very worst problem with this ram is it is not consistent. Also it only makes sense that when this company releases new ram for the market, ALL that first or initial run of ram will be surpurb, because the company knows that many reviewers will be testing from that initial run. It's kind'of like cherry picking your ram on a batch by batch scale.
Since Christmas I've known 2 different people who has gotten 6 different sticks of Geil ram, only to have none of the ram sticks work. All in all this whole OCZ, Geil ram thing is nothing more than a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, many times you don't. Personally I'm not that kind of gambler.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike360000 said:
Gee, I'm running my Corsair 3500 at 212 fsb.
From what I have observed the OCZ as well as Geil ram *can* give good performance, but only under qualifying conditions. That being, to a point, the ram likes the hardware. Plus the major point being, it depends on the batch of ram that OC Systems makes concerning any particular run. One run may come out very well indeed and the next run sux. The very worst problem with this ram is it is not consistent. Also it only makes sense that when this company releases new ram for the market, ALL that first or initial run of ram will be surpurb, because the company knows that many reviewers will be testing from that initial run. It's kind'of like cherry picking your ram on a batch by batch scale.
Since Christmas I've known 2 different people who has gotten 6 different sticks of Geil ram, only to have none of the ram sticks work. All in all this whole OCZ, Geil ram thing is nothing more than a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, many times you don't. Personally I'm not that kind of gambler.

Cheers,
Mike
I know Corsair is good, it's what I've always used. But in my 2 8RDA+ and my A7N8X, 5 separte sticks of the 3500 C2 could not run 200 FSB stable, max was 190 or so. The OCZ EL DDR has been stable since I got it at 200 and beyond. And as far as Corsair "making special ram for the NF2 chipset" I think you all are mistaken. What the deal is is that the SPD settings that Corsair has been using does not like the NF2 for some reason but once you set your ram timings manually the SPD does not matter, and that's all they are changing are the stock SPD settings...

nikhsub1 said:

I know Corsair is good, it's what I've always used. But in my 2 8RDA+ and my A7N8X, 5 separte sticks of the 3500 C2 could not run 200 FSB stable, max was 190 or so. The OCZ EL DDR has been stable since I got it at 200 and beyond. And as far as Corsair "making special ram for the NF2 chipset" I think you all are mistaken. What the deal is is that the SPD settings that Corsair has been using does not like the NF2 for some reason but once you set your ram timings manually the SPD does not matter, and that's all they are changing are the stock SPD settings...

HUuum, well if the NF2 doesn't like the spd settings; can't you change the spd settings as you say, and it supposed to work for your mobo? I figure you've already tried that with no success, but really there is more to it than the spd settings, getting it to run on any given mobo. It's the total package, chips and pcb board as well as the spd settings that makes it compatible or not.... I'd just say in your case, your machine really likes the OCZ for compatibility over the Corsair. Nothing wrong with that either! My only real complaint is the way OCZ Systems operates, the next stick of their ram you get may not work at all in your computer or any computer, or it may not work well.

Glad you have something that works really well though! That's the name of the game!

Cheers,
Mike

OCZ Rulez, my OCZ PC3200 maxes at 235 Cas2 7-3-3 but the max stable is 230 at Cas2 6-2-3 2,7v.
That was when the memory was brand new, but now when it have been running 1 month it should be hitting higher with all the burn in but I haven´t had the chance to max it again because I´m going to RMA my prometeia.

Back