• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my beef with Corsair ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I'm about to purchase a new system...this obviously including a new mobo. Every time i read a user review (one not done by a website) and there is a stability issue, 99% of the time at least the person is using Corsair ram.

My buddy told me to go with crucial, and so far i think i'm going to...it's cheaper, and i'm not putting a link to mobo problems and this ram.

**note** i've mainly been looking at ausus boards, maybe there is a connection?

Crucial isn't even remotely in the same league with Corsair. While Crucial is a stable company with fair prices and good customer service they are a division of Micron. Micron's DRAM production does not produce the best results in an overclocking environment 9 out of 10 times. While it is quality ram that is stable at the advertised clock rates, something like Corsair XMS PC3200C2 will beat anything Crucial has to offer hands down.

If you want a cheaper alternative use the Kingston Value Ram PC2700. This ram is dynamite, using the same 6ns Winbond chips as the Corsair XMS PC3200C2. I have used the Kingston on a P4PE, and it loves it. The 512MB stick I had ran at 432MHz at cas 2 on the P4PE, and any other 845e or pe. I have tried a couple of sticks to make sure it is not a fluke, and several others across the country have found the same to be true of the sticks they got. It costs a mere $128 dollars from newegg for a 512MB stick. The Corsair XMS PC3200C2 or PC3500 are the only other products I would even consider, and they do cost quite a bit more.

Last edited:
timmyqwest said:
Every time i read a user review (one not done by a website) and there is a stability issue, 99% of the time at least the person is using Corsair ram.

I really find that hard to believe. I know you're exagerating a little, but I doubt its even 25% of the time a problem with Corsair. They make very high quality RAM and I know MANY people who run it flawlessly at very high bus speeds. I haven't had a single problem with mine either.

i wasnt saying it's the ram, it's just something i've noticed...

I may be able to afford a stick of the corsair, we'll have to wait and see.

Crucial has been nothing but awesome for me so far. My stick of 2100 runs very well far out of specs.

You might also consider this: The Crucial ram is cheaper. How fast are you planning to run that ram anyway? If you dont intend to have it running past 400mhz anyway, why not go with the Crucial 3200?

BUT... IF you can afford Corsair, get it. It is better than crucial when is comes to pushing the limits.

Let me put it this way.Ive had my corsair run at 420mhz before and thats rather fast.Now I couldnt get windows to load but it would boot.

timmyqwest said:
I'm about to purchase a new system...this obviously including a new mobo. Every time i read a user review (one not done by a website) and there is a stability issue, 99% of the time at least the person is using Corsair ram.
Someone who spends the extra cash on the Corsair ram is usually planning on overclocking to extremes (or at least close to them). This aggressive overclocking could very well be the cause of their problems.

IR1 said:
my ram is very stable.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that it has to be the ram causing the problem. I'm saying that most people that get the Corsair RAM are trying to overclock a lot. And memory usually isn't the only thing you try to overclock. Maybe one person might've pushed his voltages too far on something, or maybe someone else tried to go too far on a bad power supply.

MoonWolf, where've you seen Crucial 3200 for sale? It's not listed on their website.

I thought they would have it by now... I have not checked with them in a while. I'm pretty sure they will come out with their 3200 and 3500s soon enough. You are right though, BLoop, I guess they do not have it yet. Then again... thier 2700 will hit 3200 easy.

Then again... the 512 Corsair 2700 is cheaper than the Crucial by $5. Sorry guys.

-Wesley

If you say 99% of the time they use Corsair RAM (Which is also what I have) How can 99% of the people be wrong? =| if it was that big of an issue i dont think 99% of the reviewers would be using it ;]

Back