• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eclypsyr

I had a very strange day today, you see, I have a LAN party coming up and my computer was getting hot so I decided to clean it out. I took everything out of it and used a can of air to get the dust out, I even had to reseat the HS/F with new AS3 and everything because the HS needed cleaning. once I got everything back together, I started it up, it got past the second loading bar in windows 2000 pro, it flashed a blue error screen and restarted. it did this several times, so I tried things like reseating the memory, PCI and AGP cards, switching cables, clearing the CMOS....nothing seemed to work. One last time, I cleared the CMOS, and for some strange reason unplugged a cable from my sound card. It started up and I left all the BIOS settings at default, and to my amazement it started up windows and everything was fine. I asked a friend and he thought my memory was fried, but since I got it working now, I'm not sure what to think.
Please, if anyone knows what might be wrong...let me know, because this is kinda freakin me out (NEVER happend before)
-Dae-
(also, I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I was worried about the memory, thought this was the best place)

happend to me sudenly while running 3dmark2k1. Your FSB was to high, it was crapping out. Happend to me. Was running fine last night, but this norning it couldnt handle it cuz it was signifigantly warmer than it was at night

my FSB was at default before and after clearing the CMOS tho...weird....I just went back and set all BIOS settings where I normally have them and everything still works

I'm going to guess that maybe one of the many things you tried (reseating stuff, switching cables, etc) before finally clearing the cmos again was what actually fixed the problem, but the CMOS needed to be cleared for the change to really take effect or be recognized. This is only a guess, but it seems to fit.

Back