• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4Pe or P4B533? Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XaserII

May I pick some experienced brains here? O.k., even not so experienced. I need help trying to decide a mobo for a 3.06 or 2.8 CPU. I was waiting for a Granite Bay, but I have heard some views that the Granite Bay are not that robust and I would like to upgrade in the next couple of weeks. I want to have this rig ready for some major flight sim and gaming when the wife goes to Florida for her annual 3 week vacation in February. Yea!

I have never used a ASUS before. It seems like you people here have helped a lot of ASUS users, so I am not too afraid to take my chance. If I have issues, I will ask for more help here.

I shall let you guys choose my ram. I was looking at 512mg PC2700, but if the benefits are there, I'll go higher.

Overclocking is something I have not done yet. But I would like to have fast/best mobo/ram within reason, with upgrade options in the future.

In case it may help, I will be adding to this a ATI9700pro. You can probably guess the case I'll be using.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all. I hope Santa brings all of you a 3.06ghz.

XaserII

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the P4B533 because:

P4PE over volts the CPU
P4PE appears to be less capable of being overclocked
I am considering a non hyper-threading cpu

However the P4PE is perhaps more upgradeable with future CPU's? (Assumes that Hyper Threading will be the direction that new processors take)

So I am high centered and unable to choose between these two mother boards. I'm only a beginner, and the above is based on what I read on this forum.

***Update*** I bought the P4PE, thanks for all the input!:D

Last edited:
ok, I'm realy suprised you didn't get a lot of replys by now....

anyway, I'm running on the P4PE/L right now.

it's a great OCer....and yeah it does overvolt the cpu.
that's not a bad thing...it's a lot better then undervolting.

if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the p4pe.

I see only one thing bad about it...

it seems to report lower voltage on the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails compaired to my old th7II from abit.

also the temps might be about 5c lower then what is reported.
(this is like most abit mobos)

my only thoughts other then this is a good OCing mobo is that you might want to use a PSU that is at least 430w

sorry, I've never tryed the p4b533 myself.

oh yeah, the P4PE also has a 4/5 memory ratio...this can be a life saver when you get into the high FSB area.

I would also get a slower CPU and faster memory if you plan on OCing.....and why are we here???

say a 2.4b or 2.53 and xms3200 from corsair...now run this CPU and memory at 150fsb and 3/4 ratio or better.
infact, more like 160fsb or better.

you'll now have a fast CPU and great bandwith....and save some money too.

mica

Hi

Well I have a asus p4b533-e and it runs pretty good with my 2.66B cpu @ 3.2gig+ 162fsb and the bandwidth is good to over 3000 with that dip trick that everybody uses until I get my new 845pe board hopefully my new board does better will report back as soon as i get my new board and test it LOL:)

I thought that the P4B533 did not support hyper threading, but now I find an AsusTech web page that shows that the P4B533 does support hyper threading. http://www.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b533/overview.htm

If the P4B533 does in fact support hyper threading, then what is the advantage of the P4PE other than the gigabyte lan option?

Come on all you P4PE and P4B533 owners, help me understand which of these two motherboards is the best option for my new computer.

eaglescouter said:
I thought that the P4B533 did not support hyper threading, but now I find an AsusTech web page that shows that the P4B533 does support hyper threading. http://www.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b533/overview.htm

If the P4B533 does in fact support hyper threading, then what is the advantage of the P4PE other than the gigabyte lan option?

Come on all you P4PE and P4B533 owners, help me understand which of these two motherboards is the best option for my new computer.

I'll say it again....when you get into the high FSB area it will be a lifesaver to have the 4/5 memory ratio....

once you memory cant do 3/4 ratio, then you must go back to 1/1 ratio on the p4b533. you can always clock back down so that you can still use the 3/4 ratio on the p4b533....yet why buy old stuff when the newer p4pe has the extra ratios.

I have a choice right now...160fsb and 3/4 ratio(2880mhz,426 mem), or 167fsb and 4/5 ratio(3006mhz,418 mem)

since my mem tops out at about 428 speed.....I loose almost nothing by keeping it at 3.0ghz

it's alot better then having to use 1/1 ratio at 3.0ghz

mica

P4PE

I currently have an Asus P4PE, one thing that no one has mentioned yet is SATA - serial ATA is going to become the new standard for HDD, so the rumors are saying. I have done only some simple overclocking so far and scored 16777 in 3DMark 2001 SE. There is still a lot more room for increases.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5466516
I had started with a P4S8X - that board sucks - topped out at about 2.8Ghz, dumped it after a month.
PS. do you have a XaserII? I had mine painted at a bodyshop and vinyl graphics applied. Great cooling w/ this case.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions. The P4PE makes me a little nervous from what I read in the forums here and elsewhere. I am seriously concidering the P4B533, but am comparing it to the Gigabyte 8PE667. I guess with these mobos, I'll up the ram to XMS3200. Is that in the ball park?

I have found a couple of places that say they have the granite bay in stock, so also checking them out.

Since our snow storm here in PA on Christmas day, I have had a hard time with my cable internet excess, so comparing and keeping up with the forum has been a real pain. But I feel fortunate that we didn't loose our power/heat.

Trash80- yes, 6000B. Small window. I plan on first painting the second layer of the door(red) to black or something and leaving the "X" part off. Post a picture of yours please. Always looking for ideas.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions. The P4PE makes me a little nervous from what I read in the forums here and elsewhere. I am seriously concidering the P4B533, but am comparing it to the Gigabyte 8PE667. I guess with these mobos, I'll up the ram to XMS3200. Is that in the ball park?

Oh wow... just what are you reading???

you do relise that the extreme OCers are using the p4pe and the at7 max2 v.2 mobos?

I hope you realise that most of the problems that I read here in this forum are simple user mistakes. most from first time OCers.

I understand that Ed might think that there might be somthing wrong with the "PE" chipset.....yet with some diging he will find out that there is nothing wrong with it.....that I know of anyway.

ed has been wrong before....so have I.

anyway, I would take a p4b533 over any gigabyte mobo anyday.

also, that xms3200 will be fine....what cpu are you thinking of?

mica

Thanks micamica1217. Those sound like the threads I read. I also picked that up somewhere else too. Yes it does seem like user mistakes. I plan on buying a 430w p/o by the way.

For the CPU, I'm thinking 3.06ghz. Let's put it this way. I am trying to build a system as close to the speed of a 3ghz/rambus 1066, but using DDR. Comparing everything at stock speeds for now.

I don't think the Granite Bay made that much of a leap, so I working on something to hold me over until the Springdale mobos are released.

Coupled with this I will use a ATI 9700 Pro.

XaserII

"For the CPU, I'm thinking 3.06ghz. Let's put it this way. I am trying to build a system as close to the speed of a 3ghz/rambus 1066, but using DDR. Comparing everything at stock speeds for now."

micamica1217 said:

oh yeah, the P4PE also has a 4/5 memory ratio...this can be a life saver when you get into the high FSB area.

I would also get a slower CPU and faster memory if you plan on OCing.....and why are we here???

say a 2.4b or 2.53 and xms3200 from corsair...now run this CPU and memory at 150fsb and 3/4 ratio or better.
infact, more like 160fsb or better.

you'll now have a fast CPU and great bandwith....and save some money too.

mica

you realy need a cpu to hit 150fsb or better just to reach pc800 rdram speeds........the cpu you picked out might give you a very hard time just to reach 140fsb.

are you willing to OC your CPU???

if you abolutly must have 3.0ghz, then go with the 2.53 cpu......
most are hitting 2.9ghz with default voltage.

the other real choice is the 2.66...also should hit 3.0ghz easy.

yet the most important thing to know is that you need the highest FSB possable. if you can reach 160fsb or better, then with the 3/4 ratio or 4/5 ratio you will have between pc800 and pc1066 speeds......say like pc940.

if you just don't want to OC, then I hope you can wait for GB or springdale.

mica

Last edited:
Mobo

Go for the P4PE. I just got it and as a newbie to overclocking it was very easy to setup. The overvolting is a good thing since most people overclock using this board in the first place. So far with everything stock I bumped the FSB to 115 and my 1.8A is now running at 2075mhz which is awsome since it was free plus my heat is still way within exceptable levels. Still haven't played with the memory settings but I have alot of options using Corsair PC3500 :D.

Re: Mobo

Nightingale said:
Go for the P4PE. I just got it and as a newbie to overclocking it was very easy to setup. The overvolting is a good thing since most people overclock using this board in the first place. So far with everything stock I bumped the FSB to 115 and my 1.8A is now running at 2075mhz which is awsome since it was free plus my heat is still way within exceptable levels. Still haven't played with the memory settings but I have alot of options using Corsair PC3500 :D.

Oh man,

just flip that FSB to 133 right now...no extra voltage needed.

also don't forget to get that ram at 3/4 ratio...166 should be the number.

let us know if you have any problems.

that chip should go alot higher.

good luck

mica

P4PE over P4B533 any day hands down, P4B533 chipset is yesterays news, and P4PE actually overclocks slighty better than P4B533

I had the p4b533 wich did overvoltage during idle but undervoltaged during load (quite a lot actually) does the p4pe keep the voltages at the same level during load and idle or does it undervoltage under load i.e prime95 ??

And any boards with intel chipsets, made by asus are a good buy imo.

Now I wish I would have bought the P4P. I hate how my mobo's voltage changes so much now to mention the lack of multiplyers for ram. Its either 1:1 or I actually have to decrease it with a 4/3. oh well

Thor80, you and me,

I had the P4S8XH*LL Too, sent it back after a few weeks of messing with it, wasnt worth it. I am VERY happy with the P4PE and I have it overclocked, 2.8 > 3.065 right now, and I am waiting for a new cooler to go higher. But the other stuff, FSB, and the other good things mentioned, YES, this is a good board to haved now. If I had to do it over, I would still be happy with this board, but I would get higher memroy...still can too......I have 2700 in it now, looking forward to 3500....and maybe later on the road, the 3.6 processor...................more fun more fun.......
OH AND YES<M SATA RAID 0 dont forget if you go the P4PE, you HAVE to buy the adaptor to be able to go Raid.....email me and I will be happy to help.
p.s., the voltages are off as said, but so far , I have not noticed any problems, bit does have a tendancy to run hotter then other ASUS boards I have had....

Back