• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need IDE channels - What mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Need as many *** possible, am looking at a IT7-MAX to get 6, any other ideas? I "would" like a mobo that has atleast 6 ide, and 8xAGP, Could be good for the gainward Ti4800 128DDR i allready orderd to be deliverd when avail...

Oh, btw.. Something that actually will run a soon outdated cpu, the 2.53 (533FSB) would be nice...

Happy for any help, Have a nice X-Mas!
B!

I read this the other day and wondered why you need so many IDE ports for?

Still curious, so I'll ask: Why do you need at least six IDE ports?

In any event, your best bet will be to buy the most stable board you can get and add in as many IDE controller cards to your PCI slots as you need. Stability is going to be very important because running a dozen IDE devices is probably going to create instability problems of its own. (You can get a Promise or Adaptec IDE/ATA controller for less than $40.)

About AGP 8X: I wouldn't buy a P4 board to get 8X because the boards that have it come with an unacceptable list of problems. The Intel Granite Bay boards are ridiculously expensive, the SiS 648 are horrible overclockers and Via boards are the least reliable and stable of anything you can buy for the P4. You won't be able to use the bandwidth of 8X for at least another year, so sit this one out.

Also, unless Intel does an about face, the Socket 478 format your 2.53 uses will stick around for the next generation of procs and motherboards, so you won't have a problem finding a board to fit your "soon to be outdated" for the forseeable future.

BHD

Back