• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios updates asus p3b-f

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinitwisdom

Registered
hello agian,

i have not been able to locate a bios upgrade for my motherboard. i currently have revision 1006. i can't find any info on this subject. i have also had troubles finding tweaks and mods to this motherboard. any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

on another note, my brother has an amd based computer. he just updated his bios. now when he turns his machine on it asks for his password. his password does not work, nor has any of the tricks i have worked as far as getting him into a bootable state. i forget what type of motherboard he has, or even the computer manufacturer, as i only dealt with this situation tonight. i did manage to get him a tech support phone number and email adress.
but that still leaves him without a working computer for the holidays. any ideas?

right now my main concern is ramping up my system and learning more about the many jumper settings in my motherboard, something i know little about.

thanks, infinitwisdom.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/slot1/440bx/p3b-f/

I think 1.06 is the latest.

You'll have better luck using jumperfree mode instead of the jumpers.

Your Brother needs to clear his CMOS - there should a jumper on the board that needs to be shorted.

I read your other post as well - What kind of memory do you have? If you have PC133 your 800E might do 1064 (133FSB). Remember to set the 1/4 PCI multiplier to keep the PCI bus as close to 33mhz as possible.

- JW

wisdom again,

i found another bios on the web from an unlikely site. started out talkin bout rock and roll and ended with reviews of this board and the "new" bios. it is bios 1008 beta 4. i found that very little was changed. matter of fact the only change i saw was that the setting that would normally be pci/agp or agp/pci for the order or default card. it now simply says pci as default, doesnt look like it gives an option, but i am sure it's there it has just been abreviated to allow for something else.

beleive it or not, i did some research here in the forums, and on christmas day was able to call my brother and get him past the bios password that no longer worked. i found a post on back door passwords for his setup, and the next to the last password worked! i then got him to come and pick me up so i could straighten out his system well enough to be bootable into xp. come to find out he had flashed his bios with the wrong bios! he did not know what he was doing, and i had warned him in advance not to mess with that sort of ****. he learned his lesson, next time i will be there to do these things for him or guide him as he does them so that maybe he learns something. this had also been my first experience with flashing bios, but i have a good enough background in computers and electronix to do this right the first time. as for resetting his cmos, not necessary. the password trick worked out just fine.

Back