• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on this RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
I've just seen this OCZ ram HERE..

Good or not? and, generally, is OCZ a good make? seems like nice ram, that's all...

Thanks, ArBiTaL24.

OCZ sux..

You'll be safer with the Corsair XMS 3500C2, TwinMOS PC3200(or higher) w/ Winbond or Twinmos chip, or the reign champ Mushkin PC2700 Level 2 HighPerf cas222(carries 5.0ns Nanya).

[OC]This said:
OCZ sux..

You'll be safer with the Corsair XMS 3500C2, TwinMOS PC3200(or higher) w/ Winbond or Twinmos chip, or the reign champ Mushkin PC2700 Level 2 HighPerf cas222(carries 5.0ns Nanya).

Yeah, used to think so myself. I have some OCZ EL DDR 3500 that runs better than my Corsair 3500 C2 so, their new stuff don't suck like it used to...

OCZ does not suck,

People have just oddly had bad luck with this ram in the past and ever since that issue, people have been trying to avoid this ram all together.

The latest batches of OCZ PC3200 and PC3500 overclock great and handle tight aggressive memory timings without dropping out on you.

OC-Master

This ram could rock. This ram could suck. Nobody knows for sure. It may be worth a shot, but I wouldn't buy it unless I could afford to replace it if it sucked.

It's hard, almost impossible, to RMA OCZ stuff.
OCZ hand-picks sticks to send to review sites, and sometimes sets up its own sites to review its sticks.
OCZ has a history of selling good stuff at first, and as soon as people start buying a lot, it goes downhill.

It certainly does not have the worst business practices on the net, but it doesn't have the best either. OCZ is not a bad company, but it's not a good one either.

What would peepz reccomend as a good brand then?
3200/3500 512 DDR

Corsair XMS is easy enough to find on newegg.com and other sites. Keep in mind that some have reported problems with their pc3500 working with Nforce2 boards. I haven't yet seen anyone having problems with their pc3200, though. Remember that this is a compatibility problem, not a quality problem.

Is there one standard, good ram company/ram, which everyone agrees is good, compatible, and comes in 3500 512mb flavour?

:rolleyes:

is XMS DDR by the way?
Just saw a catagory, it said "XMS", covered all those, and then said DDR" under it...?

ArBiTaL 24 said:
Is there one standard, good ram company/ram, which everyone agrees is good, compatible, and comes in 3500 512mb flavour?

:rolleyes:

No.:(

Corsair is the only company that has consistently shown an ability to produce high quality ram above pc3200 cas2.5
Some samsung chips will beat it, but they're not rated for that high a speed, so there's no guarantee.
Geil and OCZ have questionable reputations.

The best reliable, compatible, reputable chip you can get is the Corsair XMS pc3200 cas2. Note that these chips will frequently exceed 200fsb by a good margin.

Yes, of course, it is DDR.

Mushkin PC2100 & PC2700 Level 2 High Perf Cas222 sticks are known for super high OC as well. You don't get luck/no luck with this type of ram. They are designed for high OC. They are quite expensive.. but you get the performance you wanted. You get what you pay for.
This applies to CorsairXMSs and Mushkin Level 2 HighPerf.

Caffinehog said:

No.:(

Corsair is the only company that has consistently shown an ability to produce high quality ram above pc3200 cas2.5
Some samsung chips will beat it, but they're not rated for that high a speed, so there's no guarantee.
Geil and OCZ have questionable reputations.

The best reliable, compatible, reputable chip you can get is the Corsair XMS pc3200 cas2. Note that these chips will frequently exceed 200fsb by a good margin.

Yes, of course, it is DDR.

Right, OK, THanks :)

(Yep, i guessed it would be DDR, just checking. lol, 3500 sdram :p)

[OC]This- yea, i've heard of mushkin, i'll look into it.

Thanks peepz!! :)

(BTW- what' the best price on 3500 corsair that you've seen? it must be on a UK site- most seem to be around just less than £200 for a 512 stick- that's nearly £600 for me, just for the ram :eek::eek:

Another little question: is 3500 OK, or will 3200 be fine? obviously the speed is only as fast as the FSB, and my mobo might not have PCI/AGP locks or very good mults, so would 3200 or even 3000 be fine?
(BTW- what actual MHZ is 3000?)

Thanks, ArBiTaL24.

EDIT: also, if the ram is say, 3200, which is designed to run at 200/400 DDR FSB, will it run at lower FSB? I.e. would it HAVE to run at 200 or 400? also, will system performance suffer?

Anyone?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
it will run at a lower FSB depending on your motherboard - so say your using a 166FSB this will still work - it will just oc alot better to the higher 200FSB where as things like pc2100 would struggle

i believe that pc3000 would be a 185 FSB, but not completely sure. yes, any ram will run at a slower speed than it is rated for, and it will run just as fast as ram rated to run at that speed. You may however be able to run it at more aggressive timings if it is underclocked. As to pricing, i can't help you, the cheapest i've seen xms is at googlegear for about $180 for a 512 stick of pc3200, but i don't know about in the UK. check out corsairmicro.com, they have a list of uk retailers there.

Back