• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC only recognizes half of the installed RAM!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I'm trying to install my one of my sister's Christmas presents, a 128MB stick of Kingston PC133 RAM, but the system only recognizes 64MB of it.

The 128MB stick of no-name RAM already in it works fine.

She's using the ASUS P2B-F with the Intel BX440 chipset, with a PIII 450 installed. Nothing else matters, it's not an OS problem. :p

Don't tell me to flash the BIOS, 'cuz I tried that, and it keeps telling me "error -- unknown flash memory". I've tripled checked that I had to right BIOS flash thing, and have disabled/enabled every setting I could find. Nothing works.

does the motherboard support memory modules over 64? - also it could be a problem with using the 133 stick in what I persume is a 100 board...

I have seen memory not fully counted before when I never pushed it in properly...

It's got a 128MB stick already in it that works fine. It supports a 133FSB, but I can't push it that far. I've got it up to 112 for a 54 mhz OC.

Oh well. It runs well enough with just 128MB, maybe I'll just keep it in "storage" until she gets a new machine.

Maybe the sitck you have in its not 133, ask someone to lend you another 133 or 100 to test!!

It says "133" on the package, and "133" on the sticker.

I can recognize the full stick in my machine. Methinks it's a RAM type problem, and of course I'll be stuck searching for RAM on eBay or something, because the BIOS just won't flash.

if you can recognize the ram in your machine, it's not the stick's fault. do you know what is the maximum amount that motherboard can handle? Our 450mhz p3 can only take 386megs of ram, and If I put more in, It just fails to recognize it.

I know it can't be 192MB, there's four freakin' slots in there! :eek:

Even I don't have a use for it, neither of my Pentiums need more RAM, and I'm about to upgrade to DDR anyway...

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) but didn't you have to install ram as MATCHED sizes on INTELS?

Or the RAM could be FLAT OUT DEAD. I had a stick of DDR go bad on me. It only worked for about a month, and then one day when I turned the computer on it wouldn't show the EXTRA 128 I had in. I was suppose to have 640 and it would only count up to 512.

So I tried it in another machine and it would come up in that one either.

So see if you can try it in another computer.
I hope that helps,
Rob

is the stick you bought high density or double sided. if that is the case that could be the problem. some older motherboards don't support double sided sticks. I doubt the module is high density that would leave 2 ram chips for 128 meg.

Well, If you have more than one system that uses pc133 ram, then take 128megs out of the other system that runs the christmas present ram, and put it in your sister's computer.

lt. max that was my original thought. however I was under the impresion that high density ram was 64 meg chips. I've never seen a ram stick with only 2 chips on it. Am I misinformed on this. I'm by no means a memory expert.

Lt. Max said:
i bet its because the new ram is high density and ur new comp doesnt support it.. ?

max

Close, it's the bios that doesn't support it. Sorry to say you are going to have to figure out what is wrong and flash the bios to a newer version to get it to recognize the new ram properly. This is assuming the newest bios for this board was created after the advent of the higher density stick you are trying to install. Chances are pretty good with an Asus, as they generally provide continued support for their products.

Lt. Max said:
i bet its because the new ram is high density and ur new comp doesnt support it.. ?

max

I would bet that his thoughts are correct. If you're 128mb stick only has 4 memoery chips on it, then this is most certainly the problem. Four memroy chips (for a 128mb stick) on the PCB would indicate high density memory. I had the same problem when I tried a high density stick on a BX board...it only recognized my 256mb stick as 128mb. Works just fine though on the i815 chipset.

Good Luck.

Back