• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any tricks to get CAS2.5 to run at CAS2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah, setting it in your bios. almost all CAS2.5 ram will run at CAS2

its only a question of how high can you run it at CAS2. usually the ram just wont run out of spec as far. but from your system specs it looks like your not running it out of spec anyway.

-peace out

Well, i tried running it at CAS2 once, and Windows blue screened on me at startup...is there any way i'd be able to get around that, like uping the voltage a notch or something?

jeez. what kind of ram was it? so i can scratch it off my "to buy" list. yeah up'ing the voltage will help. i just dont have the balls to do it on my system. i suggest letting somone with expertise in this area post what voltage = too bad and what voltage= safe

well in my system now is a 256mb stick of generic ram, and ive got a 512mb stick of Kingston on the way. If i cant get it to run CAS2 with the ram i have now, but i can with the Kingston, ill just sell the 256mb stick, heh

I would sell that sick. If you have more than 1 stick of ram----- Highst speed = slowest memory. If you just keep the kingston, you can alo increase the fsb, if it isnt a crappy mmem chip, which I doubt. Also, you might as well up the voltage on the ram a notch, mayb eeven a few. I just wouldnt go over 2.7 i would say. It shouldnt cause any harm.

Also, I see you have a 266a also, not many have those anymore :( What kind of overclocking options does yours have? I have an ak31a and the Vcore thingy is confusing me, how it is +so many voltage and -so many volatage. Why cant they just put the numbe rin in a BIOS update!

Well, i did a little playing...and ive got the ram running at 2-2-5-2 right now...im surprised for some cheap generic ram

Glad to hear you got it working. I did some testing on my system and while CAS had an effect on performance, it wasn't the big player. (A surprising result for me since most of the reviews seem to imply it is of great importance.) Anyway, the results for each of the various settings on my system are around here somewhere in an overclocking guide (gone, deleted). Your system will be different but the info will allow you to see how to find the best performance on your system if you want. :cool:

Last edited:
zabomb4163 said:
jeez. what kind of ram was it? so i can scratch it off my "to buy" list. yeah up'ing the voltage will help. i just dont have the balls to do it on my system. i suggest letting somone with expertise in this area post what voltage = too bad and what voltage= safe

:D you called :D

actually all the expertise i really have is that my crucial PC2100 has been running at 2.8 - 2.9v (2.5v=stock) for over a a year with no problems. I never went higher than 2.8 untill i got some heatsinks for the ram, and then i felt comefortable enough to bump it up to 2.9. 2.7v should definetly be save.

WyrmMaster said:

:D you called :D

actually all the expertise i really have is that my crucial PC2100 has been running at 2.8 - 2.9v (2.5v=stock) for over a a year with no problems. I never went higher than 2.8 untill i got some heatsinks for the ram, and then i felt comefortable enough to bump it up to 2.9. 2.7v should definetly be save.

that's a big 10/4. anything up to 2.85 vdimm is ok. anything over that and you will need additional cooling.

if you are not overclocking you shouln't have to take it that high. whith stock fsb speeds you should be able to get cas2 without having to up the voltage to mutch. but it depends on if you got a good stick or not.

good luck!

Back