• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE Overclocking Tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

p4pe.jpg

Please post tips or experiences (good or bad) that you have had with the Asus P4PE. I would like to get some information together here in this thread on how to set the board up correctly for overclocking. Also some do's and don'ts would be helpfull as well.

It does overvolt, I have heard that Abit undervolts, apparently it varies by manufacturer, some do it more noticably than others.
I have also heard that some guys have tested this and at idle it is overvolted but under load it settles at the bios set voltage (mostly - give or take a smidge). As far as reporting high temps, I have not checked that out yet.

Trash80 said:
It does overvolt, I have heard that Abit undervolts, apparently it varies by manufacturer, some do it more noticably than others.
I have also heard that some guys have tested this and at idle it is overvolted but under load it settles at the bios set voltage (mostly - give or take a smidge). As far as reporting high temps, I have not checked that out yet.

I also had a Gigabyte 7DXR for an AMD XP1800+ which also overlvolted. I set it in the bios at 1.75V and in windows the Motherboard Monitor showed it at 1.82V.

Mike

I have just upgraded froma p4s533 to the p4pe for the pci locking.
I have a p4 2.4 400fsb and kingmax pc2700 ddr.
on the p4s533 i used to have a 1.8 running at 140 fsb 1.7v so i know the mobo is stable at high fsb. The new 2.4 needed 2v to even post at 133fsb in the p4s533. The p4pe is curently running at 120fsb 1.6v giving 2.88 ghz with no problems and i have had it running at 125fsb giving 3.0ghz 1.65 volts but want to make sure the 2.8 is stable for a week or 2.
On the p4s533 with the 2.4 running at 2.6 i had idle temps of 26 and load temps of 31 and koolance temps of 26.
the new p4pe at 2.6 shows idle temps of 38 and load temps of 41 while the koolance shows the same temp of 26.

So i think the p4pe might have a problem with high temp reading in the bios.

Overall i think the p4pe was worth the upgrade and would recomend it.

3gig.jpg

myarse

So what is the difference between setting the system performance on optimal or on turbo or on auto?

Also what does setting the memory on turbo do? I don't see any change in the timings when I look at it from Sisoft Sandra or CPUID.

i have not played with any of the memory or system perfomance settings so i cant answer that one. When i am happy that it's stable i will try the memory turbo settings and post back here with my findings

FACTION95Si said:
So what is the difference between setting the system performance on optimal or on turbo or on auto?

Also what does setting the memory on turbo do? I don't see any change in the timings when I look at it from Sisoft Sandra or CPUID.

I lost 300 points in 3Dmark when I used Optimal settings instead of Turbo settings.

Mike

Currently I have 2.40B @ 2.88GHZ
MEMORY is 4:5 at 427MHZ with Turbo enabled.
Vcore set to 1.675v
DDRv set to 2.7v
AGP/PCI locked @ 66/33
System performance set to auto
and mem timing is 2,3,3,7
Zalman Cooled with 29C idle....45C load
3DMark2002 SE Score with current Video Card: 12920

If ne1 has the same chip and ram that I do please let me know if you have gotten a higher OC and stable.....this is the best i have gotten so far with 100% Stability and good temps.....

SKI

Go Steelers

Currently I have 2.40B @ 2.88GHZ
MEMORY is 4:5 at 427MHZ with Turbo enabled.

realy?

at 160fsb and 4:5 ratio, you should have your mem at 400mhz.
you must have it at 3:4 ratio...427mhz

if you want to go higher, then drop your mem ratio to "real" 4:5 ratio and run at higher FSB.

at 167fsb I get 418mhz with the 4:5 ratio.

all my settings are the same as you....yet I have turbo off.

mica

well i just got the mem mixed up.....sorry bout that.
What i'm worried about are the temps when i go higher.....I see you have water cooling which definitely helps your temps at the higher overclock......but what the heck, i'll give it a shot and see if i can do it with comfortable temps under load

SKI

sup guys

Well two fold post. first to thank the people that run this site and helpful posts by veterans that help n00bie overclockers like me learn about the hobby.

I built my first computer ever, this past christmas break and it ended up being a very enjoyable expirience. I have spent more time learning the innerworkings of the computer and bios setup than i did playing games on it so far!

secondly my system:
Asus p4pe
p4 c1 2.4b--phillipines week 34
corsair pc3200 xms w heat spreader (fairly dubious about the worth of the heat spreader on the ram)
stock heat sink :/
large chieftek aluminum case--on front intake, two rear outs,
420w antec PSU
GF2 TI
other standard components

------------------------------------------------------------
I did mess up and left that wax thing on the heat sink and let my roomate put this white grease crap on it. ran it for three days and went to get arctic silver 3.
now that i cleaned it all up with IPA, lapped the heatsink, and applied a small amount of arctic silver 3 i only got a temp drop of 1C. I am sure that that wax and white crap is still in the microscopic groves of the CPU heat spreader. I may get a mcx-4000 but that still doesnt alleviate the cpu side of the mistake. hehe i should just carefully lap the cpu heat spreader :p well probably not.

anyway i am getting modest overclocks, i stop when cpu temp reach 50C according to asus probe. i do have something going on i cant figure out.

160fsb without pci/agp locked, chip is 1.55 vcore in bios = 1.6 underload in asus probe. mem timings set to aggresive 2,2,5,2 ; 4/5 = 400mhz; dimmvolt 2.6.....somthing not stable as i get sum out errors with prime95. i surmised it was the high fsb overclocking pci/agp components so i tried locking that down....

160fsb with pci/agp locked to 66/33, chip is 1.55 vcore in bios = 1.6 underload in asus probe. mem timings set to aggresive 2,2,5,2 ; 4/5 = 400mhz; dimmvolt 2.6 -----this causes the on board sound to not run. I thought this would be under the pci divider as well but dont know really. it runs fine with the pci/agp overclocked with the fsb however, but the sum out errors i see are still the problem. (locking the pci/agp will cause this problem with lesser degrees of fsb too!)

what to do? set the pci/agp partition higher to a modest overclock? or can someone explain if/how onboard components differ from ones plugged physically into the pci slots.

another thought i might have is that it isnt the pci/agp overclock that is a problem in prime95 sumout error, but the memmory is either to aggressive with 2,2,5,2 or that simply upping the dimmvcore to 2.7 may help. memmory is stable at 2,2,5,2 dimmv=2.6 according to memtest3.

sorry for the long post however one more thing. I am ASSUMING that manually setting the pci/agp to 66/33 locks it. /shrug i dont see in the manual where it says it LOCKS it but i assume it does.

btw i am at work and probabaly missed a lot of the info i have about my expiriences but it is a start.

thanks guys
J

just a thought but prime95 might be your problem and there is a artical on the front of www.overclockers.com

prime95 problems on p4 c1

Also you might want to try overclocking just the cpu first, leave your memory on safe speeds. make sure your cpu is happy for a day or 2 and then change your memory speeds gradualy.
Doing too much at once makes trouble shooting that bit harder.

For the high temps it seem to be a common problem on the p4pe board. Most people claim to have temps 10c higher in bios or asus probe that the actual temps.

Hey Angrykid, if you take a look at my first message posted on this thread you will see my settings for the 160fsb overclock....And I am stable.....But the differences between our computers are....
1. I have an aftermarket HS % Fan(Zalman) which makes a big difference from the Stock HS & Fan from intel.
2. My Ram is XMS3500 which might play a small part but i'm not to sure on that.
3. I think your memory settings are too aggressive for what you have. An OC is nothing without stability, use the default timing for your mem and this will help.
4. My 2.40b is a b0 chip made in the Phillipines. And I don't know how big a difference if any that this makes.

So try to mirror my settings and i think you will have success....but mostly feel your hardware out as no 2 setup's are the same and act the same.
Hope this helps

SKI

GO STEELERS

yeah man i think i will ease off the memmory timings. and see where that gets me.

155fsb seems stable with the pci/agp unlocked however lock it to 66/33 and on board sound goes bleeeeeh. that is the perplexing problem.

no biggie though i ususally relax back the settings to play my games anyway :)

just wanna see what i can do at a stable level is all.

Hello all,

I just put together an ASUS P4PE motherboard with a x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2610 MHz 533MHz 2.4HGz P4 and here is what I've observed.

First, the 1002 BIOS seems to be pretty un-overclockable on my system verses the 1001. I can't even post past 140MHz FSB with the 1002, and I can post above 150MHz on the 1001 BIOS (but see below). Strange, but true. I reflashed to the 1001 BIOS. Any other experiences here?

My final settings are as follows for the best stability.
FSB = 145MHz (18 * 145MHz = 2610 / 145/33.3=4 multiple)
Memory = 387MHz (387MHz / 36.3MHZ = 10.66, whoops, bad one)
Memory by SPD (CAS2 corsair XMS3200 400MHz 256MEG stick)
Vcore = 1.6volts, but seems fine lower.
Vmemory = auto
MSI ti4200 @ core / memory = 280/500MHz
3Dmark =10922

Cooling = AVC Sun Flower using Artic Silver III, 40C idle to 50C looping 2001 3D mark.

Enermax EG465P-VE(FC) power supply.

I set the PCI bus to match the FSB instead of the memory, which had options of; 387 /12 = 32.25MHz or 387 / 11 = 35.18MHz or 387/10 = 38.7MHz and 387 /9=43MHZ. But the main reason I matched the FSB / PCI is that gave the best 3Dmark scores in game applications (10922 verses 10720 with a matched memory @38.7MHz). Without the 150MHZ setting, an odd divider is the only outcome. OK, why stick with this?

I wasn't stable at 150MHz (which is the best FSB is you can hold it, 150 / 33.3 = 4.5, 400MHz memory / 33.3 = 12 and PCI / AGP at 33.3 / 66.6MHz for even and one-half multiples) for some reason. The system wouldn't boot from a COLD (like in the morning) boot. It would hang (black screen) until I pressed and held the reset button in a few seconds and released it. Then, it would boot without stopping at BIOS. Once it was warm, it would post and boot fine at 150MHz. This was a pain, so I set it back to 145MHz and its fine. The video card was clock backed to stock settings with no improvements at 150MHZ. It is the processor.

I know you all will say a CPU hangs at windows if it the issue, not at post. Well, with W98SE on older systems this was so but not on this one. Anyone have a good idea on this lock-up problem? I can set the clock as high as 160MHz and it will somewhat reluctantly boot to XP AFTER the system runs a while and you go back in and clock it up. Odd, but true. Once into windows the 150-155MHz FSB is dead stable. But the next morning it won't post unless you mess with the reset button.

All in all a great board with good multiplier / synchronous bus matching ability. None I've owned before let you match the PCI/AGP/FSB so well as this board. Just wish I had a slightly better bin on the processor. Still, without a multi-thread processor, a better video card is what’s really needed for a seriously better 3Dmark score, not CPU MHz. And, this CPU will scale one up nicely. So, my search for MHz is over at 2610.

Regards,
[email protected]

Just picked up a P4PE today. I have since decided to refrain from putting my crap OEM 1.6 in it and am going to get a Northwood 2.4b if I can. Yeah, right. Anyone know where I can find one of those?
Doc

Back