• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I think that i have this overclocking thing down, but i have never done it, just lots of research and reading these forums...

I have a question, will this work?

If i unlock my CPU and lower the multi...and have a PC3200 stick of ram, can i just crank the FSB up to 200 and then up the multi until i get the max stable overclock? I will be using a ASUS board with the NForce chipset which has a AGP lock, and *So it says* has a PCI lock *which i think locks the HDD speeds at 33 also right?) I know on a VIA board i would need a 1/6 divisor, and i dont know if the ASUS board has it or if those locks will do it instead, i JUST DONT KNOW AHHHHH

I just dont know if i understand this corectly and i dont know if this is the way it goes...any help woould be great

Thanks

Matt

That should work. Just make sure your power supply can handle it. If it has an AGP/PCI lock you dont have to worry about your AGP/PCI card or your HD's running out of spec. You should also try to go past 200 if you can. The ram is supposed to run at 200FSB but you should be able to oc it depending on what brand you got and whether you got a good stick.

It will be corsair...and umm what do u mean a power suplly that can handle it, whats to handle? I have a enermax 431 watt...

Matt

pirate252, I had the similar questions when I did my system the first time. You're on the right track. I did write down the results and the procedure I followed. They're on this thread. Or you may find it as much fun to explore on your own. There is lots of good advise to be had here on the forum.

Your system looks fine and I would think your power supply would handle the load for now. Enjoy! :cool:

Yes, it does have a lock on both AGP and PCI which in turn keeps your hdds in spec. And as for the memory, remember, XMS3200 C2 sticks are rated to for 3-3-6 1T Command CAS2. I suggest you use those settings then tighten them after you've completed your overclocking. Heck, what I did was I just raised the vdimm to 2.8 from the very start.

~THT

"If it has an AGP/PCI lock you dont have to worry about your AGP/PCI card or your HD's running out of spec." What do you mean with running out of spec? Is it dangerous for the drives not to lock the pci to 33?

Its not 'dangorous' but some drives will only run on 33, like mine, stupid thing will start acting funny if it gets even a little out of spec, but some people can have their drives run at 35, 37, whatever, just depends on the drive, i have heard of people losing data from their drivs being thrown to far out of spec though...

Matt

western digitals are notorious for scrambling at anything above 39mhz PCI. with a lock you should be lookin good. good luck, i plan on using the a7n8x on either a 1700t-bred or a 2400. hoping for a good OC.

yeah me 2. so the a7n8x DOES have a pci (and hdd) lock on it right??? Its just not veiwable in the bios

Matt

Back