• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VH6T changing BIOS values at will...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markosan

Hi guys,

I have a Tualeron 1.1 on a VH6T which I run at 1584Mhz (144 fsb). The thing is, a few times when I went into BIOS afterwards, the Softmenu showed a 13x multiplier (of course, in the POST screen it was 11x, being a Celeron), but everything worked ok.
The second mistery: everything was rock stable until I set CL to 2 (it's 2 sticks of regular PC133 RAM, so I guess I was pushing it a bit), then I had a few program errors in Windows, and after one of these, the POST screen showed 143x11, ie. the mobo lowered FSB all by itself. Sure enough, Softmenu values were also 143x11.

Well I restored CL to 3, and returned FSB to 144, and everything is rock since then, at BIOS voltage 1,55, though Sandra and VIA HM show 1,60 (guess VH6T adds 0,05 V) and max load temp 34C, but I wonder if anyone had a similar experience???

Also, with RAM at CL3 and slowest RAM performance values, I guess this CPU could go a long way, but I'm worried about PCI speeds, as I don't have a 1/5 PCI divider or PCI locking. It worked flawlessy at 1606, but I hesitate to push it further. What do you think?

-marko

Hi

I think you should be happy with your system. Running fsb 144 with a tualeron is not bad.

In the old days with super 7 motherboards we always said that fsb 112 was safe for the harddisks. Then calculate: (112/3) x 4 =149.3
So I would say that you can go to 1650 MHz.

I believe that a bios setting of 1.60 volt is then minimum. Further I believe it is quite normal that bios sets a bit higher voltage, you say 0.05. I have seen the same on vh6t.

Since the cpu is multiplier locked, the multiplier setting in bios is of no importance. It is ignored. Just disable cpu checking to avoid a break during boot.

With newest bios you can set up to 1.60 volt for CPU. I believe that 1.70 volt is absolute maximum during longer time, and I have seen that 1.65 or 1.675 can be optimum setting. In order to obtain that on vh6t, you have to modify the reading of default voltage (it is 1.475). You could modify it to 1.60 volt.
Here is the way:
http://www.blargoc.co.uk/guides/tualatinoc/index.shtml
The paint is easy to remove again with a wooden toothsticker. I also use this to paint with. It is very thin.
No problems with warranty when removed again.
I have used that on 3 motherboards. It can also be done with P4 (but with other pins).

It is my intension to make the same setup as yours with a asus tusl2-c and tualeron 1100.

My sons has robbed my former star: a soyo tisu making 13x125=1625 rock stable always. But these 1650 will beat it !

best regards

John

Back