• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair...Reg Ver vs. Platinum edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

Whats the difference if any, somone said that the plat had better stuff, but that doesnt seem right...Anyone know?

Matt

Yeah for temp dispersion, the kit from thermaltake that active memory cooling kit looks really nice, but i didnt get one for my corsair becasue i have heard that their stock heat speaders are really hard to remove...

Xevuhtess7 said:
i belive that heatspreaders on system ram dont help anyways....

I dont know, with my crucial pc2100 DDR, back when i only had 1 stick, i couldnt get any higher than about 155 cas2. I put a fan over it, and then i was able to get to 166 cas2. I added heatsinks and was able to run it at 174 cas2 (the rest of my system didnt like it though). So either the cooling made a difference, or it was just that i felt comefortable upping the voltage another notch i dont know, but cooling the ram did help my overclock.

I think for the XMS 3500, the platinum have better ram timings compared to regular. This is cause the first batch of 3500 had timings of 2-4-4-7-1 and the platinum is the second batch with timings of 2-3-3-6-1.

Tipycol said:
I think for the XMS 3500, the platinum have better ram timings compared to regular. This is cause the first batch of 3500 had timings of 2-4-4-7-1 and the platinum is the second batch with timings of 2-3-3-6-1.

I think this theory may have been true when the 3500 were first released but it is no longer the case. According to their company reps, the Platinum and regular black sticks perform the same.

ok i know this is a lil off the subject but i was just looking at ram for my new system and the mobo (abit IT7 max 2 ver2!!!) supports 333 and the chip im getting is a 2.4B so what speed should i go with or what is the formula??? im going to put XMS in there but do know if i should get the 3000, 3200 or the 3500??

Shoulda started your own thread but here's your answer. Get the 3500 as your P4 will take all the bandwidth it can get. You should be able to overclock the stick pretty well as XMS modules are rated up to 2.8vdimm

~THT

THe heat spreader casing on the Platinum series that I bought can't be removed. It's on there like the casing on RIMMs.

The regular XMS in my new system has heat spreaders that are clipped on in a more conventional way, so you can replace them with, say, a Thermal Take kit.

pirate252 said:
Yeah for temp dispersion, the kit from thermaltake that active memory cooling kit looks really nice, but i didnt get one for my corsair becasue i have heard that their stock heat speaders are really hard to remove...

wow I take back my last post. I took the clips off my black XMS and the casing is still fixed to the ram. Weird.

Yeah they seem to be glued on there pretty good. I wish companys wouldnt do that, my HS on my NB is glued down too :(

Matt

I heard you can slip a poker card under it and then use a screwdriver to very gently pry the fan off.

*note* I was talking about the HS on the NB.

I've heard that with video cards, putting it into a freezer inside a anti-static bag for like 10-15mins and then the heatsink will come right off. I don't think there's any reason it won't work on a motherboard, just use the anti-static bag it came in. Another way is to run some type of system intensive application, and after having the system run that for half an hour or so, the heatsink should come off easily.

i heard that platinum is a newer revision. Can soemoen supprt this? I have platinum, my dad got it though :)

I said that the Platinum was a newer batch, with better timings. But my even if Platinum is a newer batch, method().man says they won't perform any differently than the regular ones:

Tipycol said:

(It feels weird quoting yourself for some reason :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by method().man
I think this theory may have been true when the 3500 were first released but it is no longer the case. According to their company reps, the Platinum and regular black sticks perform the same.

Back