• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus p3b-f smb connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinitwisdom

Registered
i have a question for JCLW or anyone else out there who has experience with asus p3b-f mobo. above one of the pci cards is a 4 pin connector with the second pin missing called the smb connection. the manual says it is for connecting to other chips so they can communicate. i don't really know what it's for or how to use it to my advantage.

also, i have seen articles about covering the b:21 pin on a slot one pentium II to force it to a 100mhz clock. i have the same card in the slot they do(i checked) and it does indeed have the pin mentioned marked where they showed it to be. thing is i am running a pentium III 800e coppermine. would it be of any help to me to do this mod? if so, let me know. i have gone from jumperfree mode to setting the dip switches manually. i have found this to be a speed booster! if i could only figure out what pin configuration would give me a FSB of around 129/33 i would be able to surpass the gighz mark. i am currently topped out at 992 mhz. and i accomplished this with air cooling and have lower temps than i did when i started at plain old 800 mhz. the card is long, and has a long thin heatsink. so i made a shroud out of cardboard and electrical tape and mounted a psu fan on it! it is blowing into the slot 1 card and keeps the temps around 78 - 100 degrees farenheight. thats astonishing, considering the fact that the others i have read from about this processor think they have to have a huge heatsink which with a fan mounted makes you loose 1-2 of the 4 memory slots. with my setup, i am using all four!

you guys have been great, and an inspiration to me. i am considering going into computer repair and diagnostics. i have much of the knowledge needed already. i definately would not have gottten this far without a few of you helping me. before i joined, i read practically every post available to me as an unregistered guest. having joined the flock, i find myself happier as i seem to be making some freinds out there.

thanks, guys and gals, infinitwisdom/

Back