• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IMO the best heatercore for WC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RonnieG

I haven't seen any of you guys use this type of heatercore. I pulled it from a van but it's in excellent condition.

36 copper tubes inside, with turbulators inside each tube. Plastic tanks on the top and bottom, and water flows through in parallel. The best thing about it is that you can customise the inlet and outlet, which are 3/4" BTW, to whatever fashion you want and just bolt them on. In my case I have a thermistor on the left bolt-on and a splitter on the right.

It measures about 7" x 8" x 2.5".

ht1.jpg

ht2.jpg

Does anyone know where it's sold new?

you should be able to get it new from any auto parts store, they may have to order it, but they will have/get it for you. most heatercores run about 15-75 USD. hope this helps :)

BaThMaN said:
have you tried going to banaue???

Hi bathman.

The problem with the tropics is that they don't sell heatercores! :D

BTW bathman what radiator are you using?

Last edited:
RonnieG said:

Hi bathman.

The problem with the tropics is that they don't sell heatercores! :D

BTW bathman what radiator are you using?

but we have tons of radiator repair shops hehehehe.....

currently using TNT2bluz' blackice rad (havent paid him yet =)

is that heatercore all aluminum? or have copper tubes???

Copper tubes, aluminum fins.

Hey you gotta try heatercores, everyone knows they'll beat Black Ice hands down... If you do find one please let me know. It doesn't have to be the kind pictured above.

As for my tubes they're ordinary clear vinyl tubing thermoformed in boiling water. This allows permanent curves and bends on the tubing itself.

I've also tried using those braided hoses but they're quite stiff....

That core looks very restrictive for airflow. Look how tight the fins are placed together. Its not a very open for airflow compared to other heater cores.

I would agree. You would need some pretty good fans to get decent air through that. A suitable sized Comair might do the trick.

I'd be interested to see how it competes againts flat tubed heatercores. Like how well it spreads hot water across it's surface compared to flat tubed ones. A good heatercore would spread it over as much of it's surface as possible.

Of course that's totally disregarding flow rate problems with one or the other..

And it's got turbulators (wavy plastic things inside the tubes). I wonder how much they add to performance...

probably not much since the speed of the water going through those tubes is 1/36 of the speed of the water entering the "heatercore" and with computer water cooling, that's already not very fast. I cant see how it wouldn't hurt performance for a pc water cooling system.

I think its size advantage will be put off by the fact that the fins are so dense it would be pretty tough to get good airflow through there.

Ok. Let's assume for a second air and waterflow aint in this consideration and it's a perfect world by having pleanty of both.

I seriously doubt airflow would be a deciding factor in useing this, unless you're pulling the air wthrough a monster of a dust filter also... It takes so little air to cool a heatercore type setup anyways...

Waterflow shouldn't be a problem either if you're useing a strong pump and a descent setup ( not pumping the water in stupid ways, like straight up or through sharp bends)

How is it that this can still be considered the best heatercore? I had trouble enough fitting my Ford Ranger heatercore in my Lian-Li and it's bigger than a Chevette by a good bit...

How can a heatercore be declaired good if 90% of the populace can't use it because they don't want it hanging out of their systems, or having to build a second boxx just to house it.

Just my viewpoint on the subject... btw I like my Ranger better than the Chevette's... Then again The Chevette is the standard because it works well and can fit most any enviornment. There is a good reason things become the standard. Normally it's because they do their job and do it well.

-Toysrme

BTW I've seen a lot bigger radiators and heater cores(matrixes) in some of the Caterpillar equipment up at a house dad's contracting... Not even the A-Team van can stand up to the power of a CAT!

-Toys

Yeah airflow isn't a problem, I get decent air even with silent temp-controlled 120mm...

It actually isn't big, just about 7x8x2.5". Fits in front of my midtower neatly.

The reason I like it is because you can bolt-on stuff to the in/outlets. Manifolds, sensors, bleed tubes, hell even pumps - limited only by your creativity. Need different size barbs? Just bolt-on new ones... Try that with most other heatercores...

rgwc9.jpg

rgwca.jpg

rgwc6.jpg

Last edited:
Back