• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Series or Parallel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

When I started looking at guides for watercooling, they said that you should have the water split to the cpu and to the nb/gpu. I know that the split would ruin the water flow, but it would be a better way to cool.

However, I have read some things that state that the water's temp doesn't change (per molecule or something?) much after going over the cpu so you won't notice any difference if you run the system in series. Plus running it in series won't ruin the water flow.

Any one have any experience running it both ways?
What do you think is better?

use 3/4" ID tubing for pump>Y-connector ; second Y>rad>pump, with Y-connector>waterblocks>second Y using 3/8" ID tubing. that way, you get no flow loss. Of course, this is only if you're using a very powerful (as in, 600+ GPH) pump.

well, on my whitewater clone, I'm got dual outlets... so I'm gonna run one side to my NB block, and the other to my GPU..... serial paralells work good lol

I've run my dual cpu's in paralell and series. I did get lower temp on my cpu's after I went to a series configuration, and also, it's less messy, no Y connectors, no splits, no worrying about if all the flow is going down one and not the other path. If you're including a northbridge block in your series configuration though, I might advise differently, as some northbridge blocks constrict flow. The simple way to avoid this is to make your own blocks, and make sure your northbridge block doesn't do this, or buy one that doesn't contsrict flow. Put simply, in the same system, if you have a higher flow because of a series setup, you're going to see lower temps. The temps on my second CPU were always a couple of degrees higher, whether it was series or paralell.

Nick C said:
well, on my whitewater clone, I'm got dual outlets... so I'm gonna run one side to my NB block, and the other to my GPU..... serial paralells work good lol

Hey that's not a bad idea. I think I'll try that if I get one of those blocks. I am thining about getting a NB block, so I'm guessing I probably will have a parallel setup, or at least your serial parallel style ;)

Thanks for the help

Parallel:

splitter1.jpg

Back