• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oasis waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McWarren

A few weeks ago I was eating my lunch and drinking a bottle of Oasis. Naturally, the name of the drink got me thinking about watercooling. Then it hit me, why not whack an old heatsink in the bottom, seal it up and use it as a waterblock?

So I did exactly that. Unfortunately, mounting it was a tricky task, and all I could think of was to lock it down with some cable ties. I fired up my TBird 1.4 with it all hooked up. Nothing happened. I checked for problems, but flow was good and there were no leaks. After about 15 minutes of trying, it was clear that it wasn't happening. So, I put everything back together complete with my old air cooling system and turned back on. Again, nothing happened. Eventually I found my backup Duron 750, and to my astonishment, it works fine.

One would assume that heat killed it, but - there are no apparent scorch marks anywhere on the chip, and no bubbles in the thermal paste - it looks brand new. Also, there isn't any chipping or other sign of a crushed core. Of course, it's possible that it overheated and didn't leave any kind of trace.

What really gets me is that the other day at work I saw a 1700+ go to +124C due to a jammed fan, yet it somehow survived.

Unbelieveable.

wow, thats weird man, I bet it wasnt mounted level, because of your rigged way of mounting, not very easy to mount something like that.. I hate it when this happens!

Back