• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiators versus Heatercores, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McWarren

Out of interest, does anyone know why radiators dedicated to watercooling rigs are so much more expensive than automobile radiators?

From what I gather they're equally as good. Do companies charge so much for special radiators purely because of the profits available, or is there is more complex manufacturing involved?

Heatercores are like $20 at most autoshops, and $30-35 w/ correct sized fittings at most online water cooling sites. Or are you refering to the Black Ice series of radiators? They are just glorified heater cores, sold for pure profit

You can get good heatercores and rubbish heater cores, as you can with radiators. The only real way to look at the performance of a given radiator / heatercore is to compare the ability to get rid of a given amount of heat at a specified waterflow / airflow combination. I'm making a radiator at the moment and will post a performance rating of it compared to a BeCooling Aquacoil. Got to look at some figures from that to compare my homemade radiator to...

Car rads are commoditized. PC WC is a niche market. That's why.

But then why bother with PC WC rads when there are cheaper, better alternatives like heatercores...

Last edited:
Plus most radiators for watercooling uses copper tubing as opposed to the typical aluminum tubing for automotive heatcores

i've actually found it depends on the brand whether its copper or alumunium. I cant remember which brand is copper or aluminum, but it does depend on the brand

as far as heatcores for cars is concerned, I was referring to the ones that are inexpensive (the copper ones do tend to cost more than the aluminum ones).

Back