• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why am i not drill thru cu well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

is it because of my crap bits?
i'm using i think (black oxide).. i don't know wut there called?

wen i drill it makes a high pitched sound.. and it makes absolutely no progress while drilling................... took my 1hour of drilling.. lube... drilling.. lube... to drill 1 hole....

was the drill in forward :) prolly just crappy drill bits, you might wanna invest in a set of good drill bits (black oxide kinda sucks, dulls down fast) look for some TiN coated drill bits or someting, those arent too much and they last quite awhile

yeah, TiN bits would go through no problem, and actually a good sharp black oxide bit would go through most types of Cu no problem aswell, but you might as well just get some TiN bits, cause theyll last ya a longer time

maybe because your not drilling a pilot hole? those larger bits not always cut in the center real nicely, drill yourself a pilot hole and try again, pilot hole: 1/8-1/4inch, it would actually go real well to drill 1/8, then 1/4, then 3/8 or how ever, just step it up a ltitle each time, it is easier

Copper is such a soft metal you shouldn't have any problem drilling with ANY bit. I use HSS.

Perhaps your speed is too high. When it is the tip gums up and you don't get anywhere....

Use low speeds and cutting oil. WD-40 and light oils work OK.

Almost seems to me that they were dull bits.

But, I'd ercomend some good HSS or TiN bits. Theres some others that work great in copper too, but can't remember which.

Get good bits though, you can get TiN coated bits that are crap.

finally a post i can help with. i work as a metals technoligist. in the air force that means i remove stuck screw. A lot of time what happens is people have the drill running at too high of an rpm when they start. which causes a lot of friction in effect cold working the metal to a higher hardness. Oh and while copper is very soft it also is very dense. The way it chips when it drills is horrible. Aluminum isn't as soft but i find it way easier to drill. so what i would try is, yes a pilot hole, also better drill bits but hey why not stick a dremel with a burr to the surface for a couple of seconds to see if you cold worked it. i ve had it happen.. and those black oxide drill bits aren't that good either. slower rpms will help you drill better. kinda like priming it don't go all out. if thats not it i dunno.

Liss said:
is it because of my crap bits?
i'm using i think (black oxide).. i don't know wut there called?

wen i drill it makes a high pitched sound.. and it makes absolutely no progress while drilling................... took my 1hour of drilling.. lube... drilling.. lube... to drill 1 hole....

sounds like a dull drill bit
if ya have a bench grinder have a go at sharpining
you haven't anything to loss

just dont buy a cheep drill bit set ;)
buy cheep buy twice

Borgy

Don't use a high drill speed.

Take it slow - go in/out/in/out etc. Allow the metal to cool.

Watched the CNC mill that drills the holes in my blocks. Quite a slow spinning speed, plenty of coolant, and just to drill through 5mm of copper, the drill bit does about 5 entries (in/out) drilling out about 1mm at a time. I quizzed the machinists on it, and basically it's to allow time for the metal to cool so it doesn't gum up and grab and break the bit.

What about aluminium? Would a 4mm bit at 2800RPM do the job? I was unable to find smalled diameter bits locally.

Cathar said:
Don't use a high drill speed.

Take it slow - go in/out/in/out etc. Allow the metal to cool.

Watched the CNC mill that drills the holes in my blocks. Quite a slow spinning speed, plenty of coolant, and just to drill through 5mm of copper, the drill bit does about 5 entries (in/out) drilling out about 1mm at a time. I quizzed the machinists on it, and basically it's to allow time for the metal to cool so it doesn't gum up and grab and break the bit.

The in/out method is called pecking
its not realy for cooling but for cleaning the swaff off the drill/cutter
the coolant does the cooling LOL
but with brass, copper,bronze it also helps the cutter not to get pulled onto the work

just try drilling out a brass pipe fitting then your know what i mean
FIZZ3 said:
What about aluminium? Would a 4mm bit at 2800RPM do the job? I was unable to find smalled diameter bits locally.

What type of drill are you using ? handheld or press ?
in any case a 4mm pilot hole is small enough
If ya got a drill press with alumimium and a small diameter drill bit
stick it on the fastes speed then dont put to much pressure on the down force ...
and use the pecking method and if ya can use some coolant
i have my small drill press in a kitty litter box and i then pump water/coolant (just water works too) on to the work,
just dry of the drill base after ya done or it will rust
coolant in the Mills is a oil and water mix .. and stinks LOL

Borgy
(tool and die making Engineer i make the jigs that are used in CNC mills as well as press tools )

Last edited:
Borgy said:
What type of drill are you using ? handheld or press ?
in any case a 4mm pilot hole is small enough
If ya got a drill press with alumimium and a small diameter drill bit
stick it on the fastes speed then dont put to much pressure on the down force ...
and use the pecking method and if ya can use some coolant
i have my small drill press in a kitty litter box and i then pump water/coolant (just water works too) on to the work,
just dry of the drill base after ya done or it will rust
coolant in the Mills is a oil and water mix .. and stinks LOL

Borgy
(tool and die making Engineer i make the jigs that are used in CNC mills as well as press tools )

Hm just an old handheld. Not using coolant either... but the job is fairly light anyway- only a few mm's thick.

Ok just put some oil on the drill bit
more for a lubricant than coolant
then get the block nice and low so you can stand over it
(even stand on the bentch)
take ya time drill it striaght and dont rush it
and dont try and but your body weight on the drill LOL
oh centre punch the hole first that will help stop the drill form skating start slow then speedup

good luck
and have fun .. thats what half of this is about
Borgy

Borgy said:
Ok just put some oil on the drill bit
more for a lubricant than coolant
then get the block nice and low so you can stand over it
(even stand on the bentch)
take ya time drill it striaght and dont rush it
and dont try and but your body weight on the drill LOL
oh centre punch the hole first that will help stop the drill form skating start slow then speedup

good luck
and have fun .. thats what half of this is about
Borgy

Hm ok oil. Thanks for the advice. I hope to have some fun indeed. It's a 'risk-less' job anyway (building a box from scratch) so I can always start over if something goes wrong. =)

mmm Something happened to my post here... I guess the internet gnomes thought they'd take it <g>

Anyways, I just said use 3 in 1 oil.

-Toysrme

Toysrme said:
mmm Something happened to my post here... I guess the internet gnomes thought they'd take it <g>

Anyways, I just said use 3 in 1 oil.

-Toysrme

The annoying thing about living in Europe is that common american products are often called slightly different here. I'm not sure I could just order this oil by the name. So what is this 3in1 type of oil exactly?

Its call the same in the UK ... I know Because im British
(just moved to Canada last year)
3 in 1 is a light mulit purpose oil like you use to lube your bicycle chain or door hinges

3 in1

Google Search is your friend :)

Borgy

Back