• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"True" vs. "not overclocked..." memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

"True" vs. ??? memory

What exactly does this mean? And should I assume if if a site sells memory and they don't mention that its "true" memory that its not?
Is there any other way to tell?

I think you should be able to tell by whats written on the chips....
I am gonna look at mine, I purchased mine, PC2700, from Newegg
then I go back there a couple days ago and see "Samsung true PC2700, (not overclocked PC2100), and I start thinking WTF?????

That would just sux0rz

Thanks, thats what prompted me to ask. I also bought my memory from Newegg. Just wondering if I want to add more memory from somewhere else if I need to make sure and verify its not overclocked from some lower speed...

Well I have several sticks of Original Samsung PC2100 that runs perfect at 166FSB with the timings at 2-2-2-5-1T
And on my P4 boards it runs at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 400FSB
All that without heatspreaders too.

Re: "True" vs. ??? memory

ACF said:
What exactly does this mean? And should I assume if if a site sells memory and they don't mention that its "true" memory that its not?
Is there any other way to tell?
i see your cpu is locked.how can u raise the fsb to 166?

alright...if you want to get kinda technical..not really though, since its 4am...pc2700, pc3000, pc3200, and pc3500 will all bench basically the same when they are all at stock speed (ex. 133fsb)..this is because they they are all overclocked versions of pc2700..no company has come out with TRUE pc3200 ram...yet. the higher speed basically means it can overclock more. and can get to the same speed, at less voltage than the lower model.

They aren't overclocked versions of anything. All of these RAM speeds are programmed to run at PC2700 when run at default speeds. Why? Because JEDEC hasn't officially come out with a PC3200 standard.

However, that does not mean this RAM is overclocked from PC2700. Corsair PC3200 runs at 200mhz. PC3500 runs at 217. Overclocking means running it past its rated speeds - in this case it isn't overclocked. It's rated to run at these speeds.

I wouldn't really worry about being sold overclocked memory ACF. As long as you buy from a reputable dealer like Newegg you'll be ok.

Back