• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Gateway Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SLO

I have a Gateway P3 1GHz that was given to me as a gift. It was built around October of 2000 if that will help any.

My question is, would installing an aftermarket Mobo and CPU be as easy as putting it in and installing the drivers? I am worried about compatibility issues if doing such a switch.

If my first option would not work, then I would imagine something from Powerleap would, but I would really rather not go that route.

This is a system to hold me off while I build my 3GHz system so nothing too involved.

The only problem you would really have with the gateway case, is that they rivet the i/o plates on. You would have to drill it out and put the one that came with your motherboard in if the the gateway plate didn't match the motherboard. If you want to put a P4 in it, you may have to upgrade the power supply too. That should be your only obstacles.

Thank for the response. I come from a car mechanic back ground so drilling rivets is nothing new to me. All in all sounds pretty simple (but nothing ever is).

Just make sure you can get your i/o plate to fit. If you are going P4 you will more than likely need a new power supply, and if you are going to get a new motherboard it is best to do a fresh install of your operating system. That is about it.

Oh, good luck on your 3GHz, wish I had the money for it. Well, if i can talk the wife into it..............

gruven said:
Oh, good luck on your 3GHz, wish I had the money for it. Well, if i can talk the wife into it..............

It's as simple as taking her to the bathroom and opening up the drawers full of makeup. That is, unless your garage looks like Tim Taylor's... ;)

Steve

Nah, she doesn't wear makeup, doesn't have to. She lets me get whatever I want for my puter, if I work for it. I just don't like working overtime, so my 1.8A will do just fine for now, lol.

Back