• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling troubles :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aggieeng

Ok...so I got my rig all put together. I have the Maze 3 all copper block, Hydor L30 pump, and Black Ice pro radiator in an inline system. The rad and pump are in an external box with a delta 120mm fan at one end and the rad at the other. The box is airtight and the fan pulls air through the rad. I used AS3, lapped the block, and use water wetter. With this setup my idle temps start off at about 33-35*C for about 10-15 minutes and then go up to about 38-40 :( . My case temps get pretty hot too (northbridge heastsink and ram are HOT to the touch) so I have one 38cfm 80mm as an intake. The only exhaust are the power supply fans. Any ideas for what I should do to get better temps? These temps are better than I have had at home with my old air cooling (~44*C idle :eek: ) but when I was at my dorm at college it would idle at ~36-38*C. My room here at home is much warmer than my room at college, so should I just not worry about it and wait until I get back to college to see how it does? Any and all ideas/comments welcome...I'm about to go take some pics of my rig and put them up...thanks.

it's great to see another aggie on the forum. WHOOP!!!!! :D try re-seeding your waterblock. make sure it's on there right. that will help your cpu temp if that's your problem. as for your northbridge and ram are they like really hot because via's northbridge don't usually get extremly hot. you could always water cool the northbridge.

kevin

Wh**p!!! (I'm just a fish...I had JP's for football season tho :D ) Yea I tightened down all the thumbscrews with the springs...they are pretty much compressed all the way (not ALL the way but close, y'know?) I honestly think my room just gets too fricken hot...it's gotta be like 78*F in there...:eek: . Anyway...maybe AS3 needs time to settle or whatever...just got it going yesterday...so I'll just give it some time and see before I do anything else... :/. What year/major are you Kevin? (I'm a computer engineer incase you were wondering...Aggieeng=Aggie Engineer...:rolleyes: ). Anyway...lates...

Hey bud, here's some tips to look for.
1 ASxx takes at least 40 hours of runtime to "settle in"
2 Temp sensors are as accurate as lawn darts from a shuttle orbit.
3 Puting your radiator fan in an outside box really killed your airflow.
4 Do your temps get any better with the case open, or maybe a small fan blowing into it?

You'll probably need to get some cooler air into the box, because the cpu is not all that's throwing heat in it. When I went watercooled, I found that the power mosfets were heating the cpu socket somewhat, and adding a small fan (x northbridge fan, water there too) to them really helped my temps.
The main idea is that going watercooling doesn't necessarily mean you can toss out all your case fans, but you can run them at 7 volts (rheostat) to keep all your other hardware breathing easier. Your processor only takes about 20-30% (guestimate) of the power your computer is consuming, and much of that heat is still in the case.

Hope you get it ironed out, bud.

Yeah, I have one 38 CFM 80mm fan pulling cool air into the case. I got the temps in my room down finally and my temps are alot better...about 29*C idle and about 33*C after playing UT2003 for a good while. I would attach an image but I don't know how :rolleyes: .

Cool beans.
Was it really just the room temp?, though some of my customers do have their heat freaking cranked up when I get in there. Makes you wonder how people can afford to keep the place 80F in the winter.:D

I suggest more intake cooling power for the case. The radiator should be fine in the seperate box. All you're really doing is lowering flow a 'lil bit. It's not like you're shooting a hole in the core<g>

Good Luck with coach Fran... The lieing inconsiderate BAS TARD!
(Gee can you tell where I go to college???)

Back